Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Colour-ly challenged

Page 1 of 1
We are putting an offer in on our dream Reno next week and expecting it to be accepted. Most of the work to be done is cosmetic with a new kitchen and bathroom and adding storage.

I've been looking for inspiration and ideas and starting to worry the house with either end up looking like Mardi Gras, or monochrome! I love so many different colours and styles but generally have terrible luck at making things go together.

The only set thing will be the dark timber floors in the hall and bedrooms. I'm pushing to rip up the lounge carpet as it's a bit gross and leave the timber, but hubby wants carpet (I'm thinking about a toddler and another bub on the way- mess monsters! Hard floors will just be easier to clean).

I like brights and muted greys, modern and antique and I just don't know where to start. We have a limited budget and not much space so thinking clean lines and simple features is the go? We may resell in a few years so I don't want to end up with something only the owner could love

The inspiration rooms I've see are either to expensive, expansive, complex and luxe for our type of house or hey don't show me how to create a flow from one room to another. Any hints, tips or suggestions?
You sound as if you like an eclectic mix. When you do (and I'm the same) it's really much harder to choose what makes your heart sing! I also appreciate so many styles and colours! For me, it ends up being what I can live with for a long time, not necessarily what's on trend- if I love it it will always be on trend for me ( and I get bored easily with fads!)

Here's one suggestion: google Houzz or a similar house site for inspiration and create an album of inspiration photos (say, 12) that you really love. Then analyse your likes and dislikes. Hopefully this way you can find the connecting "elements" that you really can't do without! For example, you might have chosen a certain style more often than the others. Cull out the less favoured styles. Then look at what makes up the style, the elements within the photo. This way you can decide if you really like cottage with bits of industrial, or industrial with bits of modern, or perhaps eclectic mix of traditional with sleek modern, etc. What colours appeal to you in these photos? Is it the accessories or the fixtures? etc. I know it sounds like a bit of work, but in the end you will come a lot closer to having what you really love. And the right buyer will love it too. Sometimes a few little inexpensive touches can become the wow factor in your design- I see this all the time on Houzz. Designers have an eye for details, small and big. So really this is what you are doing- looking at how the parts all make up the whole.
The other idea is to google a certain style: and just add the elements of that style alone. Many sites have lists of what makes up the style. What would suit your style of house?
Analyse that and then go for it!!!

Hope this helps...
Related
8/06/2023
Paint colour help please

General Discussion

Thankyou so much 😀 I've decided on White on white for doors and trims, White on white 50% on ceiling and Mt buller for walls. Fingers crossed it will look OK 😀

30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum