Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Feature colour advice

Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to find a feature colour for our theatre/entertainment room and main bedroom that will tone well with Whisper White, which is the colour we are thinking of for the main walls throughout the rest of the house. The carpet in the rooms will be a dark charcoal/deep brown and we have Vivid White for the ceilings, cornices, skirtings and doors. I'd really like something just a bit darker than the main walls, so it's obvious that it's a different colour, but not too different in tone.

I wasn't sure if it's advisable to try Whisper White in 200% maybe? Or should I just choose a colour instead? We quite like how Whisper White looks on the walls, because it's a warm but with a hint of grey to it (and no bluey/purple tinge!), so it seems to work with all our colours.

Has anyone used Whisper White in a stronger percentage? Or any suggestions of a colour that could complement it?

Thanks!
If you are using a projector in your theatre I would suggest a darker colour for your walls as the image will wash out with reflected light on white walls. If its a plasma or lcd this is less important. In terms of colour matching I have always had good luck using a lighter or darker shade of the same paint. Picks up the same tones without being too different. Good luck!
Julesy 71
I'm trying to find a feature colour for our theatre/entertainment room and main bedroom that will tone well with Whisper White, which is the colour we are thinking of for the main walls throughout the rest of the house. The carpet in the rooms will be a dark charcoal/deep brown and we have Vivid White for the ceilings, cornices, skirtings and doors. I'd really like something just a bit darker than the main walls, so it's obvious that it's a different colour, but not too different in tone.

I wasn't sure if it's advisable to try Whisper White in 200% maybe? Or should I just choose a colour instead? We quite like how Whisper White looks on the walls, because it's a warm but with a hint of grey to it (and no bluey/purple tinge!), so it seems to work with all our colours.

Has anyone used Whisper White in a stronger percentage? Or any suggestions of a colour that could complement it?

Thanks!

Any colour will go with Whisper White. Personally, I think you should go a lot deeper than Whisper White in a theatre/entertainment room. This is the one room in the house that I would want to walk into and go.....WOW, where's the action!
Great, thanks Michelle. The room is actually really quite light, it opens out onto our backyard, so we've used quite a lot of glass there. It won't have a projector screen, just a normal large screen LCD.

I'm looking for something that's a warm grey, but have tried so many that either look too beige or too bluey or greeny grey. Very frustrating! I found Vanilla Quake and quite liked it when painted on a board, but it ended up looking too mauve when we actually painted it on a section of the wall. It's proving really hard to find 'the one'!
I'll try and post a couple of colours tonight for you.
Try

1) Dulux Flooder Gum

2) Stepney

Both are brown based greys which are warm
Depends how dark you want to go for your feature wall, since you have lots of light I would recommend the darker one.
Thanks Michelle. I will have a look at those. Appreciate your help!
Related
18/09/2023
Feature brick discoloured

General Discussion

hmmm id assume youll get hit with the "natural product therefore variation in colour etc" excuse. How bad are we talking? One could argue that if none of the displays or…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

9/05/2023
Retaining wall defects - Advice needed

General Discussion

Hi All, I engaged a tradie to install concrete retaining wall 600-800mm high over 32 meters in Victoria. Sleepers are 200*75*2000 mm installed over 17 steel posts. I…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum