Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Greys that work with shale grey

Page 1 of 1
After weeks of reading numerous posts I have decided to take the plunge and post a question......
I hope I have posted this in right spot.....
Who knew choosing a grey would be sooooo difficult!!!
We are building new home. We wanted the colour scheme grey and white - dark grey and a lighter grey on brick render and white on scyon (weatherboards). We have shale grey roof, gutter and fascia. Our house is contemporary home near the beach.
We would like a dark grey for the render on garage. You can not see the roof above our garage. The roller door will be shale grey. Garage is west facing. So far we have tried
woodland grey.....not good
dulux raku....too brown
dulux ticking....dh likes this but I am worried the shale grey will not work with it.
We also would like a lighter grey that will go with shale grey and render colour.
Our painter will be using wattyl paint.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated as I am well and truely over looking at paint chips!!!!
The best advice I can give you and one that I have given quite a few clients over the years that face the same dilemma as you is to just print out on a sheet of A4 various shades of grey ( or a contrasting colour if that's the style you're after ) either on your home computer or down at Officeworks. Match those with your Colorbond colours and then go slightly darker or lighter to suit. Then buy a few sample pots of those shades and paint a few offcuts of gyprock and line them up against each other. The bigger the size of offcuts to paint on the better preferably 1m x 1m or bigger.
Look at those samples in full sun and in the shade to see how they change.
Bear in mind that big areas of painted wall tend to look darker than your smaller samples.
Trial and error but well worth it and you should be able to narrow it down quite quickly. Also remember that after painting the walls and you don't like it you can always change it pretty easily.
Good Luck

Stewie
Thanks Stewie for your reply.
We have used large pieces of leftover flooring to paint the greys on and my dh has also taken to the bricks on the garage to see how colours look. We have noticed that the greys do change depending on the light. Already bought half a dozen (at least) sample pots.
Won't be repainting any exterior walls....far too expensive for that!!!
WE have a shae grey garage door and used teahouse for the render

Best tip I got for greys is that for a true grey go for something with similar R G B values.
Shale grey has a near identical RGB Value

all other gresy will have a blue, green or purple hue about them
below site is gold

http://www.dulux.com.au/applicator/colo ... atlas.aspx
Thanks City fringe.
I have looked at that site.
What other colours did you use?
One of the other colours we were contemplating was western myall which I am sure is on the 3 coloured card (you get at paint shops) with teahouse. We have a painted piece of A4 card from our local dulux paint shop.
My dh saw a business on the way home that has been recently painted and he loves the colours. He is going to stop in on his way home from work tomorrow and ask if they know what colours have been used....fingers crossed someone can tell him.
we originally chose western myall.
we were told it was too dark the renderer could not gaurantee it would not fade.

I think it was a load of hogwash as I have seen much darker on render. i would go with western Myall If I had the choice again as our first florr is rendred in timeless grey and teahouse is too close in clolour to my liking
Related
29/04/2023
Safe Work methods

General Discussion

Block of two storey townhouses requires painting on the roof. A brick parapet wall separates each unit and extends above the tiled roof. The parapet walls require sealing…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum