Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Question about study nook?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

We are getting a built in desk for our study nook. Its not a big area but it is visable from the kitchen and living areas in our house.

There are not alot of colours to choose from with the company we are using (BIL works for them)
so we thought Laminex - mushroom linea might be nice for the desk and filing cabinet with white overheads.
I am nervous because is does have quite a bit of pinkish/beigeish tones in it but it was the only colour that I really liked..
Our house is all greys, do you think this colour will stick out a bit too much? It will only be a desk and small filing cabinet drawers underneath but I dont want it to look stupid..

I will add a pic of the study nook later tonight but the kitchen is the area it will be closest too and this is the laminates and colours we have there...

What do you guys think..?
Hi, I would do the study nook in the same colour as your overhead cabinets in the kitchen.
I don't think I would be introducing another colour in the mix.
I agree with Abby. Repeat the colours from your kitchen.
Thanks for the replies!

We could do it in all white, I didn't know if that was a good way to go or not as I thought it might show up damage faster and look a bit tatty..?
You could do the overheads in the darker laminate to mix it up a bit. I have a white laminate desk and yeah, it gets grubby, but it's so easy to clean.
I'd try and use the same laminate on the front of your Island bench with white

Anything that is in sight of each other should balance and mimic each other, IMO
We used a combination of oyster and mushroom Linea on our kitchen. The oyster is a silvery colour and complimented the darker colour nicely. Perhaps have a look at that if you want to stick with greys
Hey all,

After googling like every Laminex colour to see what they REALLY look like when used

(it seems like the little colour chips are way off!)

We have asked for a quote on Laminex - Chalky Teak with a Laminex - Fossil benchtop.
It will be extra to get the Chalky teak as it is a non standard colour with the company, but the Fossil is standard which is good and I decided if we can get Chalky teak we will use it for the overheads as well..

I have found some pics off google of the two colours used in someones bathroom and laundry, they look like they will go nicely together and still tie in with my current colours - just in a opposite kind of way...

I soooo hope this quote is reasonable and we can just get it done..
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

7/08/2023
Acceptable wait time for email response to question from sma

Owner Builder Forum

how imperative is the timing of the answer?

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum