Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Painting Media Room??

Page 1 of 1
We were going to do dark all over and when I visited the house today I thought it would look very odd having such a dark room with the rest of the house being so light... unless the doors are left shut which they won't be.

What are people doing with media rooms?
We'll definitely having dark walls and ceiling (Dulux "Enchantress") but we'll be keeping the doors closed. The rest of the house will be Antique White USA

SK
We're leaving ours as is (Parchment) to start with and see how we go living with it. I think a dark wall where the TV goes sounds like what most people do if you don't want to paint the whole room. They say a dark wall is best for watching those scary movies!!
It also depends on if you will have a projector and screen in there or just a big TV. Dark walls and ceilings are best if you are using a projector so that you don't have light reflecting off walls bouncing that light back onto the screen. If you're just having a big TV, then it's not such a big issue.

SK.
Just a big *** tv is going in there.

I might just get it painted like the rest of the house for now (painting is starting this week) and then do a colour behind the tv anyway. Not too hard to paint it later anyway
Ours so far is painted the same as the rest of the house Wattyl Sierra Snow. However this is because so far we only have a 65" 3D Plasma. Should we go down the projector / screen route then we will have the room painted - ceiling included - a dark colour.
We have a white-ish flow colour for our house but still chose a dark colour for the theatre room, a dark purple, we painted the ceiling also. The theatre room doors are white on the passage side and purple on the theatre side. I really like the contrast between the light hallway and dark theatre room.
I love HT rooms dark and mysterious!
The Theatre room is the only room hubby wants an on opinion on, so we have decided to keep the walls same as the rest of the house (Barley There - Haymes paint) but have the projector screen wall black to blend in with the screen frame and the opposite wall, behind the projector, will be a mural of the sun peeking over planet earth. (he's a sci-fi freak and that was the best compromise).

He originally wanted to do all walls Russian Red but I believe colors enhances mood and I didnt to be angry (or passionate) all the time.
We painted out entire room - ceiling and all in Duluz Western Myall - getting black plantation shutters in there too - I think it's awesome!
Because we dont have doors on ours we are just doing a dark colour behind the tv (dulux harold or army issue i think)
Related
14/07/2023
Painting Multifinish Plaster

Building A New House

Hi, Have used the Dulux 1 step, oil base on my walls(white set), out of can it’s already a more thinner product than a final coat paint Also in water base Water or…

5/03/2024
Painting Acrylic rendered retaining wall

General Discussion

Thanks mate, is there a standard off the shelf type breathable product I can apply DIY? Thanks

6/04/2024
Painting help please

General Discussion

Thanks will do.

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum