Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Where should I hang these pictures??

Page 1 of 2
I want to hang some family photos on the wall but am struggling which wall to put them on..... hoping I can get some help in here!! I am hoping to achieve a similar look to Erins wall.

Here are the frames I already have and how I want them laid out (I am going to update the pics in them so they won't look the wrong way like this)

Here is one wall I am considering putting them on- above the TV in the dining/living room. I also plan to paint this wall a darker grey for a bit of a feature. Something is stopping me from putting frames on the wall above the tv though so not sure

One other option is to put them on this wall which is beside the tv (also in the dining/living room) but I would need to buy some more frames (not the same but still black and white)

And lastly- possibly on this wall which is looking towards our entry ( can only see when you walk towards the front door)

Any advice much appreciated!!

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

I am by no means an interior design expert but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway

I'm guessing these are pics that you want friends/family to be able to take some time to admire so for that reason I wouldn't go with over the television - people won't be able to get close enough to look properly and will also be blocking the tv if they stand there for any period of time.

It's a bit tricky from your photos to tell which other wall you are talking about but I think having them in the main living area is probably a good thing. I do like the idea of using the wall in the hallway but if you have a number of people over then you might get traffic jams when people try to admire your collage!

Good luck with making the choice
I'd put them in the hallway
Second choice would be the dining room wall. Just start in the middle, then you can add to it evenly over the years to come.

Definitely not behind the telly.
How about the angled wall at the end of the hallway? That would also work ok

Just keep laying them out on the floor like you've done to get a layout that works.
just Erin
How about the angled wall at the end of the hallway? That would also work ok

Just keep laying them out on the floor like you've done to get a layout that works.

The angled wall in the hallway is the wall I meant when mentioning the hallway!

Glad you agree with me about the wall above the tv, DH wanted it there but I just wasn't convinced it would work. I might just paint that wall anyway to liven it up a bit. Loooove your colour on your photo wall!

Hmmm, now I don't know whether to do hallway or dining room wall. I would prefer it in the main room but the fact that we have the airconditioner stuck up there on the left hand side really throws me!! I don't know what to do with that space! Ugly things they are!
shellb78
The angled wall in the hallway is the wall I meant when mentioning the hallway!
oops, that straight wall opposite the niches would work very well too

shellb78
Glad you agree with me about the wall above the tv, DH wanted it there but I just wasn't convinced it would work. I might just paint that wall anyway to liven it up a bit.
I think painting it would be the best option, otherwise a single large image. Although if you wall mount the tv one day, the image may look out of place.

shellb78
Loooove your colour on your photo wall!
Thanks

shellb78
Hmmm, now I don't know whether to do hallway or dining room wall. I would prefer it in the main room but the fact that we have the airconditioner stuck up there on the left hand side really throws me!! I don't know what to do with that space! Ugly things they are!
I was thinking about that... Would you centre the pics to the wall... or centre them where the air con unit ends and the very far right wall? Centred to the entire wall would balance that space, and perhaps take people's eyes away from the air con unit
Are you going to add to the amount of photos you have, or just hang what you have?
Michelle
Are you going to add to the amount of photos you have, or just hang what you have?

Not sure Michelle..... it really depends on which wall I put them on. I am happy with just this amount but if I put them on the large wall in the dining, I will try and find others to add to these ones (prob won't be able to find the exact ones though)
[quote="just Erin
oops, that straight wall opposite the niches would work very well too

I think painting it would be the best option, otherwise a single large image. Although if you wall mount the tv one day, the image may look out of place.

I was thinking about that... Would you centre the pics to the wall... or centre them where the air con unit ends and the very far right wall? Centred to the entire wall would balance that space, and perhaps take people's eyes away from the air con unit
[/quote]

Wall accross from the niches might create a traffic jam. Not a very big space.

I don't think I will ever wall mount the tv.

I was thinking of placing them to the right and centring them there but what you have said about centring to the whole wall and how it would take peoples eyes off the air con makes sense!
Sorry erin- hope you are not confused. Not very good at the qouting thing!!
Well, I seem to be the only one to prefer above the TV.

I think it makes a nice point of interest in what could be a very dull space with just the TV there.

Alternatively….I’d go for the entrance wall it needs something as well.

Your dining room wall would look better with a big canvas on it.
My vote is also for the hall - I think it would attract attention to the angled wall making it even more of a feature. Your hall is also somewhere where people walk close enough to the wall to be able to see photos. Yes, you can walk close to the wall in the dining but most of the time people will be a distance away so to me it makes more sense to have a larger picture that can be appreciated both close and from a distance.
Hi guys,

Decision made! Am hanging them on the angled wall in the entrance/hallway. Just grtting some more pics printed before I hang them.

In the meantime, I have hung some canvases on the dining wall. These have been sitting in different rooms because I couldn't decide where to put them. They were going to go in the entrance but the wall wasn't quite big enough

So I have decided to put them here.... I was hesitant when I first got them because the red isn't as deep as the rug on the floor and also the air con was throwing me, but as Erin said, I think by centring them in the middle of the wall it takes the focus away from the air con.

What do you think? I LOOOOOOOVE them!!

Oooh - I like those!
Looks great
The colours look fantastic with the rug - well done
shellb78
In the meantime, I have hung some canvases on the dining wall. These have been sitting in different rooms because I couldn't decide where to put them. They were going to go in the entrance but the wall wasn't quite big enough

So I have decided to put them here.... I was hesitant when I first got them because the red isn't as deep as the rug on the floor and also the air con was throwing me, but as Erin said, I think by centring them in the middle of the wall it takes the focus away from the air con.

What do you think? I LOOOOOOOVE them!!

Perfect! Love the canvases!!!
Thanks guys!! I love them too!
Perfect!!
I'm chiming in a bit late with my response...but I agree with the decision you've made about the photo wall and I really love the canvases (They look great with your floor rug)

Cheers!
Thanks Michelle & Miss!!

LOL! Over the weekend my husband noticed a problem with the canvases!! The first one was upside down!! And they have been like this for over a week!! The wmount of times I looked at them and never picked it up!
Related
18/04/2024
Hang 10kg mirror on dry wall.

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Ditto 3M Claw, expensive but best thing I've used to date. I put two of the 11kg ones in for a 12kg mirror on the wall, and its been great for 4 years now.

5/12/2023
Concerns with my Tiler's job. With Pictures

Bathrooms and Laundry

Regardless of wall hung toilet or floor pan toilet your feet will be right on drain, seems to me the waste should not be in that location given the design. Also are you…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum