Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Obscure glass

Page 1 of 1
Does obscure glass need curtains?

We've got it in the upstairs lounge, but I'm not sure if I'll need to get some curtains for them or not.

Ta
Which direction does the window face? We have obscure glass on the ensuite and bathroom windows, and they dont need blinds, they face south.

If the windows faced either North or West, then definitely.

Imagine the glare on the telly on a bright day, being it's in your lounge?
It's a South window.

It's the upstairs one, so it's not going to have a tv in it for a looooooong time yet lol
In which case I wouldn't bother, the natural light will be nice
Does the room have other windows that aren't obscure? If so you it might look odd w/out window coverings
lisanne
Does the room have other windows that aren't obscure? If so you it might look odd w/out window coverings

Technically yes. They're the two little box windows above the stairs, but they're little, high up and won't have anything on them themselves
Twiggy
Does obscure glass need curtains?

We've got it in the upstairs lounge, but I'm not sure if I'll need to get some curtains for them or not.

Ta

I have obscure glass in my bathroom window.
I thought all was good till I was outside one night and the BF was in the bathroom taking a shower. I got a surprise when he stepped out of the shower….you cant see directly through the glass, but you can see the outline very clearly. I now have a blind in there.

It depends what you think people will see…..
Don't forget the insulating properties of curtains/blinds, and heat loss through glass. Might still save you plenty of power from heating in winter, especially as it is an upstairs room.
Obscured glass works better the further you are away.

I guess in terms of modesty/privacy it depends on the direction the window faces.

For a lounge window (obscured because it would allow you to see into your neighbors habitable rooms) I would still get a curtain. That way you can close it IF you want to or leave it open. If you are having them made to order, there would be nothing worse than changing your mind in a year or 2 and not being able to match the fabiric/pattern
our neighbour next door to our rental place had obscure glass on their bathroom window...every night they would shower with obviously the lights on and we could see a dark outline of EVERYTHING! it was horrible...we almost went and told them once(we didnt know these people) but after a few weeks they figured it out themselves and had some sort of window covering...

plus they were the one double story house in the street and all this was happening in their upstairs bathroom facing the entire street which mean most of the street had that view!
sara.alag
our neighbour next door to our rental place had obscure glass on their bathroom window...every night they would shower with obviously the lights on and we could see a dark outline of EVERYTHING! it was horrible...we almost went and told them once(we didnt know these people) but after a few weeks they figured it out themselves and had some sort of window covering...

plus they were the one double story house in the street and all this was happening in their upstairs bathroom facing the entire street which mean most of the street had that view!

sara.alag

Argh! Do you remember what kind of glass it was? Was it the laminated transcleuscent stuff or frosted? I've got frosted in mine and I'm hoping it blurs the lines.
sara.alag

You didn't live next door to Michelle by any chance???
Oh no! We have floor to ceiling louvres in our new main bathroom (with obscure glass) directly overlooking our neighbour's BBQ area! It wasn't until the windows were put in that I realised our girls will have to close the louvres each time they shower to prevent the neighbours getting an eyeful. Now I find out that we may need to do more than that!

What options are there for window coverings in such a humid area? Would a light sheer curtain be enough with the obscure glass behind it? I would imagine you would have to make sure a roller blind was completely dry before retracting it to prevent mildew taking over. Retracted roman blinds might be better but moisture might still hang around in the deeper folds... mmm...
I put up a roller blind in a fabric that can be wiped down. That’s probably the best way to go.

PS…..I’m having visions of neighbours who know next door have obscure glass trying to get a peek now.
Michelle
PS…..I’m having visions of neighbours who know next door have obscure glass trying to get a peek now.

Ha Ha! If our neighbours try they'll be sorely disappointed that's for sure! There's definitely nothing worth perving at in our house (at least until the girls hit their teens and then we'll be locking them up in their bedrooms).
I have to say I felt sorry for the 16 year old boy at the back of me.

I probably scared him for life in my bathroom until I discovered it!
Related
25/09/2023
Invisible Channel Fix Glass Fencing

Pools & Spas

Need to remove glass panel out of concrete without wrecking the glass to get the spa room in, any recommendations on how to do that. Thank you

26/10/2023
Which glass for stacker doors

Windows & Doors

What do you need them to withstand? If it's normal wear and tear, then either will do, if you want resistance to ingress then laminated would be the favourite, but only…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum