Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Interior colors - suggestions please

Page 1 of 2
Hi All..

We have gone through the color selections, but now i'm worried that the wall color we selected 'Bone' might give a yellow tone and with our beige tiles the interiors will look too yellow.

So, was wondering if anyone has this color and if you could please post some pics.

Our selections are:

Tiles: Kimberly powder internal
Interior doors color: First Snow 6301
Internal wall color: Wattyl Bone (2-Coat) - Marked in color selection doco as FF BONE
Kitchen Glass Splashback: Hogs Bristle (Low Iron) - to blend in with the wall color
Cabinet Doors: Ebony Macassar
Overhead cabinet doors: White Natural Finish
Benchtop: Nimbus 9601
Timber Stain: Solver Antique Walnut

The overall look we want for the walls is something similar to below:

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance..
I haven't used Wattyl 'Bone' but I was also worried about my walls being too yellow (in our current house which we have renovated). I chose a Haymes colour called 'Berber Beige' which seems to be a similar strength and tone to the photo you posted (on my monitor anyway!) and it has no yellow in it at all. I would describe it as a 'stone' colour. You can view the colour on the Haymes website. I love it, and although we have painted it all through the house (except 2 kids' rooms) it tends to look like a slightly different colour in different light in each room

Have you tried posting in the 'Interior Decorating' forum? I'm sure the members in there are much more qualified to help with paint colour selection!
I like your kitchen selections, very nice
Pinchy
I haven't used Wattyl 'Bone' but I was also worried about my walls being too yellow (in our current house which we have renovated). I chose a Haymes colour called 'Berber Beige' which seems to be a similar strength and tone to the photo you posted (on my monitor anyway!) and it has no yellow in it at all. I would describe it as a 'stone' colour. You can view the colour on the Haymes website. I love it, and although we have painted it all through the house (except 2 kids' rooms) it tends to look like a slightly different colour in different light in each room

Have you tried posting in the 'Interior Decorating' forum? I'm sure the members in there are much more qualified to help with paint colour selection!
I like your kitchen selections, very nice

Hi Pinchy, thanks for the tip
.. I have posted in the 'Interior Decorating' forum.

We only have a limited set of standard paints to choose from (building with porter davis - lifestyle) . Our earlier selection was "wattyl new soft blush", but then we changed to "bone" thinking that there won't be much contrast between the door & the wall
My ceilings are Wattyl Bone, and it's almost white. In fact, it looks white until you compare it with the door & window trims and skirtings, and then it's just an off-white.

I have a feeling that there is more than one Wattyl colour called Bone though. I suspect ours may not be the one I specified, but it wasn't important enough to bother about changing.
kek
I have a feeling that there is more than one Wattyl colour called Bone though. I suspect ours may not be the one I specified, but it wasn't important enough to bother about changing.

Now that's a worry ! We are building with Porter Davis and the pamphlet they have provided has only one "Bone" color. So we can always go back to this if there are any issues, but it's so damn hard to figure out how it'll look by just looking at the 1sq inch block.

We were considering the "New Soft Blush" color before, but then we though that might be too light.
Don't stress too much, it's only paint! Not too difficult or expensive to change after handover if you discover it's not working for you. You may be surprised though how well all the colours come together, and don't forget you still have to add your furniture and decor. Good luck
We have also chosen bone, i'm pretty sure it's pretty neural without being too yellow (well I hope so
)
building1
We have also chosen bone, i'm pretty sure it's pretty neural without being too yellow (well I hope so
)

Oh good. So we are not alone in the boat.

Ya that's what I am hoping, but just can't seem to finy any pictures or large samples. Might go down to the local Wattyl store today and see if I can get a sample.

Pinchy
Don't stress too much, it's only paint! Not too difficult or expensive to change after handover if you discover it's not working for you. You may be surprised though how well all the colours come together, and don't forget you still have to add your furniture and decor. Good luck

Ya, we can always do that afterwards, buy won't it be great if we don't have to do that.
Get sample pots to be sure of the colour you want.
baronx
Ya, we can always do that afterwards, but won't it be great if we don't have to do that.

Yes! Sorry, I think I was actually trying to convince myself more than you
I tend to get very anxious about getting all the details *perfect* and I think I'm trying to prepare myself to be very flexible when we actually begin our build!

Have you thought about buying a small tin of Wattyl Bone and painting a large sheet of ply or mdf to see the colour properly? Maybe you would feel better if you actually see your tiles/laminate/benches etc against a decent size sample of your paint colour?
Please ignore this post... was very tired when I wrote it and didn't realise Kek had already posted
Pinchy
baronx
Ya, we can always do that afterwards, but won't it be great if we don't have to do that.

Have you thought about buying a small tin of Wattyl Bone and painting a large sheet of ply or mdf to see the colour properly? Maybe you would feel better if you actually see your tiles/laminate/benches etc against a decent size sample of your paint colour?

Got the sample pot, did a few cotes on a cardboard and here's the result:

It looks a lot yellow when i look at it, but certainly doesn't look yellow in the pic. Pic was taken under fluorescent white light.
Ive merged the two topics you have created - we have subforums for ease of use and there's no need to double up on threads
Bam
Ive merged the two topics you have created - we have subforums for ease of use and there's no need to double up on threads

Awesome .. I tried moving the tread, but there doesn't seem to be an option. Thanks anyways
Quarter to three in the morning and i'm still pondering over this big question.God knows how i'm gonna manage to go to work tomorrow.. lolzz

Since we are having beige tiles & really dark kitchen cabinets at the bottom, i think bone might be a bit too dark & a bit too creamy.
So i've narrowed down to two alternatives;
"New Soft Blush" - pics here http://mollycharli.blogspot.com
"New Pale Cream" - pics here http://miazfolly.blogspot.com/2010/09/pics.html

I'm leaning towards new pale cream as it's kinda in between. Will check with high-command in the morning

Might have to get a sample tomorrow to test, but won't be till evening.. and tomorrow's the last day for us to change the selections.

What do you guys think ? Is New Pale Cream a good option ?
You can’t go wrong with the new pale cream. Its such a neutral colour, everything will go with it.
In fact I like both colours….. sorry. Confusion again
:
Either one will work

No wonder you’ve had no sleep, cruising all the blogs can take hours!!!
I know, I’ve done it.
Another thing to consider (among all the other things) north facing homes get different natural light to those facing south...i do like Bone but it could get too creamy in warm light, either of those colours just above would suit well. Good luck, deciding on colours can take ages.
Thought i'll post an update on the color situation..
Yesterday, I went to the local Wattyl retailer to get the samples for New Soft Blush and New Pale Cream. The lady at the counter checked the Wattyl system and said that there were no paints by this name.

So I asked her to check for bone.. and guess what.. there were 4 records with name 'Bone' .. all having different color composition !

She suggested calling Wattyl, but it was already past 5, so that was out of the picture. So she checks the Solver system and found the two colors with the exact same name. She also found 'Bone' in the system and the manufacturer was noted as 'Wattyl' for all 3. So I took samples of New Soft Blush and New Pale Cream.

Today I called her up to check with Wattyl and she has checked with Wattyl and found the exact colors they supply to PD. What a legend !
She said the solver samples I took were different, so she'll be doing all the 3 colors for me again for free ! Am also gonna pick up New Pearly Gates.. it's gonna be a busy weekend
LOL I went through this unknown colour thing a few months ago.

In the end I threw my hands up and went what the hell LOL

I think I consulted everybody from my mother to my doctor (well maybe not my Dr but just about everybody else)
OMG, that so funny and so correct.

When I do consultations (on site) I leave the A4’s on the wall so the client can get used to them before they start painting. I hear the girls just about have cocktail nights to discuss the colours!

Now I am aware of this, I always tell them, NO coffee mornings to debate the colours. Everyone has different tastes, so everyone will have a different opinion therefore adding to more confusing about the colours.
Related
28/03/2024
Facade Colors combination

Building A New House

Thanks. Facade is south facing

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

24/10/2023
Dark Interior Tiles - Charcoal

Building A New House

Hi All, I am looking to go with tiles instead of laminate timber flooring throughout my living areas for my new build (Ashbury 29 - Henley). My whole colour scheme is on…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum