Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Feature Wall Rules

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering whether there are any "rules" for painting feature walls throughout your house, particularly in an open plan home. We are planning on using Dulux Natural White through our home (except in bathroom and laundry we use hog bristle quarter and master and ensuite we used dulux silver city), and putting in feature walls to break up the white. I don't plan to have a different colour on every second wall, but in our open plan area, we are thinking of having different colour behind our kitchen cupboards and then the same (or darker but similar) colour on the dining room wall which is opposite to the kitchen to the right. The area is quite large, but just not sure whether it will be too much...

Also, was thinking of having a feature wall in our living room and in our foyer. Both of these walls you will see as soon as you walk in the front door and both will be different colours...

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

Kara
Hi Kara,

We plan on doing something similar to what you have suggested. Do you have a floor plan you could post?
Colours need to flow with each other. By this I mean, they should complement each other and usually be in the same depth.

My rule of thumb is…..never put a feature wall on walls with ….a large TV cabinet, large windows, doors or anything else that pulls the eye from the feature colour.
flagstaffIV
Hi Kara,

We plan on doing something similar to what you have suggested. Do you have a floor plan you could post?

Yeah, I do. I'll try to put it up today or tomorrow. My partner and I had a chat last night and we think we may make a feature of a wall that is in both the kitchen and dining - it's like a 'wrap-around wall' I guess. Anyway, I will put the floorplan up so you can have a squiz...

Next dilemna, picking the feature colour!
Michelle
Colours need to flow with each other. By this I mean, they should complement each other and usually be in the same depth.

My rule of thumb is…..never put a feature wall on walls with ….a large TV cabinet, large windows, doors or anything else that pulls the eye from the feature colour.

Thanks Michelle. We were going to put a different colour behind our kitchen, but thought about it last night and decided against it...I still believe, after building our home, picking paint colours has been the hardest part!
I agree with Michelle on the complimenting colour comment. The contrasting colours used by ID's a number of years ago are out now where as complimenting colours are still a great way of creating character and warmth in a home.
Related
20/02/2024
Renovation size rules help NSW

General Discussion

just ask council, most have a free service for this.

12/04/2024
Two kitchens in one house - planning rules

General Discussion

"is it exempt or do I need to get permission from council" Call your Council and ask them

18/09/2023
Feature brick discoloured

General Discussion

hmmm id assume youll get hit with the "natural product therefore variation in colour etc" excuse. How bad are we talking? One could argue that if none of the displays or…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum