Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Advice re interior colours

Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I am renovating a Federation cottage c1906 and have a list of things to do but first off is putting my touch on the interior. The house is full of extension but the original part of the cottage has dado panels on the walls. They were brought back to life by the original owner. They are lovely but really darken the rooms. I keep tossing up whether or not to paint them. It seems wrong to do so given the amount of work put into them. Please let me know your preferences. Also, I am wanting to change the wall colours so am thinking to just go neutral and as light as possible. Possibly 1/4 or 1/2 Hogs Bristle. Any advice on that is appreciated. I have attached photos of a few of the rooms. In total there are 3 bedroom in the original part of house plus a fireplace sitting area (rather small) and then in the extension is the kitchen, lounge room and bathroom. Off a set of french doors is a semi enclosed alfresco area that I am going to fully enclose with more french doors and use as a large dining room. Off that area is the fourth bedroom. I have attached photos of two of the bedrooms along with kitchen, bathroom and fireplace area. They were taken when we had tenants in at the time of purchase so my decore isn't showing for you to match colours to but is mostly antique french provincial with the furniture being dark woods and cream upholstery. Will get more updated photos soon enough. Appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/Kitchen.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/5f041323-fc06-4bca-9c7a-ad6bf0e750bf_FS.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/Bathroom.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/71fbd1d5-f257-4e0a-beb3-312bb6b8118c_FS.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/0dad4e0c-540b-4306-876b-65d89a7e5cf1_FS.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/9e704e62-d0fe-4734-99f9-272cc4186c54_FS.jpg
Oh my paddyandbeau, your home is stunning. I'm not up on all the colours but I suspect going neutral will help balance the timber of wainscoating and might negate the need to paint them. Hogsbristle seems to have a bit of gray tonings but I'm wondering if something with a bit more cream in it might help. I'm sure someone will come up with a great option.
Thank you for the kind words robinred55, it's a cute house and thankfully doesn't need too much work but a few things need tweaking. I am starting with the interior painting and then moving on to new carpet throughout and new timber venetian blinds. I have some fantastic antique chandeliers and light fittings to go up. There is also a 5th room in the garage which I am going to convert to a guest room with a large spa bathroom (mainly for my own use
) Lastly I am re-painting the exterior (still not sure what colours) and installing an in-ground pool. As you can see we are really close to the neighbours and are on a small block (only 500sqm) so I just finished re-fencing and am currently looking at lining the driveway with advanced 6ft + trees. Anything that grows fast! I agree on the hogs bristle. I was looking at the wall before and think it needs something warmer in tone. So many colours to choose from though!
Love the house. You've got quite a task ahead of you!

I'm going to disagree about Hog Bristle. I think it's got pinkish undertones, and that will highlight the red in the dado panels. I would look at something like White Duck Quarter. It could help tone down the timber.

Judie
Thanks Judie, I like the look of white duck. It's rather soothing. I'm wanting to keep the 2nd bedroom a purple colour but something much lighter than it currently is. I have a mauve grandfather chair currently in the room so would like to use a pale mauve paint on the walls to lighten the room up but still keep the purple/mauve theme. Any suggestions and preferences re purple tones also appreciated. I have attached a photo of the chair. The colour is a little bit more purple than what shows but hopefully will help. Appreciating everyones advice!

hi there, your house is lovely
I actually think you should paint the panelling and all trims in white, then go with HB or any other colour on the rest.

have a look at Rikster's house (just do a search on "rikster's house" and his thread should come up) he has that panelling everywhere and has painted the tops of the walls a myriad of different colours and it looks stunning. I think you could do the same here.

good luck and remember to show us some after photos of whatever you decide!
paddyandbeau
Thanks Judie, I like the look of white duck. It's rather soothing. I'm wanting to keep the 2nd bedroom a purple colour but something much lighter than it currently is. I have a mauve grandfather chair currently in the room so would like to use a pale mauve paint on the walls to lighten the room up but still keep the purple/mauve theme. Any suggestions and preferences re purple tones also appreciated. I have attached a photo of the chair. The colour is a little bit more purple than what shows but hopefully will help. Appreciating everyones advice!

Look at Tinge of Mauve half or quarter. It's a lighter, slightly grey version of the purple.

Have you had any thoughts about painting the beadboard? It would change the look of the whole house if you painted it white. It's a kind of permanent change though, because it wouldn't be much fun trying to strip said paint if you got sick of it.

Judie
I've definitely thought about it. When I first saw the dado I knew I had to paint them white to lighten the house up but I have since gotten used to them and feel it a crime to paint 104 year old originals. I don't know what to do!

I'll start by painting the walls above and see whether that is enough. Otherwise I'll whip out some white paint. I'd be interested to know the preferences of others in regards to dado. To paint or not to paint?

I like Tinge of Mauve. Thanks for the advice. Mauve Organdie is rather nice also.

Thanks all!
Just got some more updated photos of the lounge and bathroom. As you can see the carpet is quite tat. It ends at the extension and then becomes floorboards again but they don't match the original floorboards so it's all quite topsy turvy. The lounge area is going to be carpeted and I will carpet over that small area of floorboards. I haven't bothered with the decore just yet. Not until it's painted and the new carpet and venetians are in. Doesn't seem worth hanging curtains just yet. I'm also changing the fireplace around a little. A new mantle surround plus a insert with a gas heater. Asthma and open fires don't go well! I was thinking I would go with a white mantle surround. Opinions? Thanks everyone.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/lounge002.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/bathroomhall009.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd438/paddyandbeau/bathroomhall020.jpg
I love your home, its just beautiful!

We're currently extending/renovating a traditional style home..we're going the VJ/tongue n groove wall panelling all through with belt rail in the main areas..we're painting the bottom half Beige Royal full strength and the top 1/4 strength with antique white USA high gloss archs, trims, skirting, belt rail. I wanted something light and airy, the beige royal has a light grey undertone compared to the HB which has a more pink/cream undertone IMO.

I love your clawfoot and washstand...we we're hoping to get a clawfoot, but not sure if we can spare the $$.

I think white mantel surround would look fabulous, with a mirror above.. could you even render the brick to get away from the naked brick? Just a thought.
Thanks so much Liz

The clawfoot is original to the house. Considering it's 104 years old I'm surprised it's in such good condition. The enamel isn't at all worn. You can purchase some really cheap clawfoots on Ebay which have been re-enamelled. Much cheaper than the new clawfoots which to me look a bit tacky. Then again new is nice sometimes. Your colour choices sound great. I've decided to go with Grand Piano 1/2 for my interior and most likely Tinge of Mauve to tone down the 2nd bedroom from that brighter purple. I live in an area with a fantastic array of Victorian and Federation houses and came across a cottage I adore. I am going to copy their exterior colours
It's a beautiful pale lilac/pale blue with white trims. Sooo cute! I'm still pondering the idea of painting the dado rails and rendering the brick. It's convict brick so I would feel a bit guilty and I think a real estate agent might kill me if they found out I did that! Would love to see your advancements on your home. Feel free to attach to my post if you like. All the best.
Yeah, we're currently 'watching' a clawfoot on ebay which is currently $10. We've actually got perfectly good clawfoot 'feet' which came with the house we currently are renovating, but just didn't have the bath! How bizarre! But we're wanting to use the old school tapes and also a ring/oval shower rod with curtains to bring in the much needed character.

Convict brick..wow...thats cool! Better not cover it then hey!

Grand piano will look awesome!

Happy to post some pics too of our extension...might make up a separate thread, dont wanna impose on yours!
Looking forward to seeing you adjustments!
What a gorgeous cottage! i agree it seems a shame to do anything to the original timbers; and I agree with Judie about going for something like White Duck Quarter to lighten up the place & cool off all the red in the timber. i would definitely do this first. Do you know what kind of timber it is? 'Cos to me it looks like it may have been stained that red colour.
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

24/10/2023
Dark Interior Tiles - Charcoal

Building A New House

Hi All, I am looking to go with tiles instead of laminate timber flooring throughout my living areas for my new build (Ashbury 29 - Henley). My whole colour scheme is on…

23/01/2024
Interior stone wall DIY

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi Would love some advice on a DIY project I've dived into that's now keeping me up at night. We've got a cool 1970's Mid Century style house here in NZ and have always…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum