Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Suggestions on what to put in my entry hob?!!

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
I am struggling to decide what to put as a display on my hob. I built the Pegoda with Carlisle homes and in the entry, there is a massive hob. The hob is about 50cm high and about 1m wide.

here is a link of the house layout from their website: http://www.carlislehomes.com.au/downloa ... Pagoda.pdf

When I get home tonight, I might take a picture of it and post it for you guys to have a look. Ok i'm at home now and here is a picture of the hob (sorry about the bad pics, I just used my iphone):
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/wonderland69/IMG_0470.jpg
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/wonderland69/IMG_0468.jpg

Can someone please suggest what would be a nice feature to put in there. At the display home, they put a massive praying buddha. As I'm not going for the oriental theme in the house, I didnt think the buddha would be a good idea. I want something that would make the entry POP when people walk into the house.

Thanks in advance.
I love praying buddhas! I don't think they necessarily suggest an oriental theme, I think you could make it work with other stuff.

will wait for a pic before I make any other suggestions.... a big vase with stick things in it comes to mind, but is well-used in houses, not to say it isn't nice... at christmas could you put a mini xmas tree there?
oh yes a mini xmas tree would look cute during xmas.

Yes DH does like the buddha, but I dont know, its not really the look i'm going for. I was thinking a big vase with artificial flowers but i havent really seen any that I really like. Thanks Donut, I will take a pic tonight!
Anyone have any suggestions?! Please, I'm really struggling here.
What about a really exceptional hand made large vase (ie 90cm + height) or one off sculpture or piece of craft work?

Alternatively, a great piece of artwork on the wall
oh thats a lovely hob!

Trying to think of other ideas but my mind can't seem to get past the buddha

I do like the idea of the artwork, on that colour wall it would really pop out. or the big huge vase/pot with nothing in it. maybe a nice modern water feature if there is a power source nearby?
Thanks guys for the suggestion. Hrmz, not sure about the artwork on the wall. I think if i put artwork on the wall, it wouldnt make much of an impact as the space is so big, and the artwork is only on the wall. I would have all that space in front, does that make sense? I would much prefer to put an ornament or something like that.

Donuts, I probably shouldnt haven mentioned the buddha!! But if all else fails, I might just go that direction!

Oh its so hard. i have tried looking for big decorative vases/pots, but cant seem to find anything that stands out. Any one seen any nice vases that they could recommend?

Thanks.
I wouldn't go for a vase or a buddha. I'd go for a sculpture. Something really modern and large. You obviously don't want to spend a fortune (who does?
), so I'd be looking at TAFE and Uni art exhibitions.
I'd definitely be getting something very bottom heavy though so that it cannot be knocked over easily.
i know what you mean about the artwork. but it's an idea to keep in mind if you say, find a low statue or pot or something to put on the hob, and there still might be space above. But prob be better to find something big and huge for the wow factor!

the idea of a big beautiful birdcage complete with bird just jumped into my head. but would leave feathers everywhere I couldn't stand that.
Oh yea Joles, good idea. I normally think sculpture = expensive! How much do you think it would cost for student sculptures as I dont want to spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars. And where would i find out about these exhibitions? Thanks

Donuts, that birdcage idea is quite a good one, minus the live bird inside
. I have seen birdcages used as decoration around the house, but not sure whether it would look abit weird?!
or a fishtank!
Def not a fishtank, too much work for its worth. I used to have one, all the fishes died because I got too lazy to clean out their tanks, and sometimes forgot to feed them!
What state are you in? In Victoria you could contact RMIT, Chisolm or Latrobe as they all have fine art departments. They could put you on to students who might have sculpture they would like to sell.
As for pots / vases, I have a friend who has bought some really lovely, large ones and has them outside in his garden. They are an artistic piece in themsleves and wouldn't need flowers in them. I will try to find out where he got them. But you could try places with African art, or Bendigo pottery.
A glass studio in Healesville also has some fantastic stuff, so maybe look at some glass studios??
Or a fantastic mosaic sculpture??

Just thought of another idea, but might be bit hippy
The Nimbin candle factory (in Nimbin) make these fantastic candles. They are multicolored and stand about 1mtr or more high. They are a triangular shape. I loved them
(If you do burn them they last for 150hrs) One would look fantastic there
Hi Wonderland

Whatever you put there needs to be something you love. Dont put anything there at the moment just for the sake of it, you will know when you see it. I like the sculpture idea as well but only buy it if 'its the one'.

Also, as for vases with sticks or fake flowers...well not my thing at all and probably a bit of a dust collector in that space.

Whatever it is, think scale and height...dont settle for 2nd best.

Mrs B
@tjilpi, I'm in Melbourne. I might have to call those tafe places and ask. I just hate the thought of contacting people
I know it sounds weird but I would rather go somewhere and have a look and if i do like, i'll enquire but if I dont, i just leave! What is the nimbin factory, sounds interesting!

@Mrs B, I know what you mean. That's what I've been doing. I didnt want to just buy anything to fill that spot, i wanted it to be 'the one' I've moved into our house for over 6 months now and i'm not even close to finding anything. That's why I thought I might ask you ladies for advice.

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming!
tjilpi
What state are you in? In Victoria you could contact RMIT, Chisolm or Latrobe as they all have fine art departments. They could put you on to students who might have sculpture they would like to sell.
As for pots / vases, I have a friend who has bought some really lovely, large ones and has them outside in his garden. They are an artistic piece in themsleves and wouldn't need flowers in them. I will try to find out where he got them. But you could try places with African art, or Bendigo pottery.
A glass studio in Healesville also has some fantastic stuff, so maybe look at some glass studios??
Or a fantastic mosaic sculpture??

Just thought of another idea, but might be bit hippy
The Nimbin candle factory (in Nimbin) make these fantastic candles. They are multicolored and stand about 1mtr or more high. They are a triangular shape. I loved them
(If you do burn them they last for 150hrs) One would look fantastic there

I like these ideas as well. Some outdoor oversized pots are artwork in themeselves and some I have seen are magnificent.

I had a quick look at the Nimbin candles and love that idea as well. Even a calabera (sp) could give that area that wow factor but not everybody is in to candles

Mrs B
It is still a statue and I am not sure how much they cost but what about the ones that are of a man and woman kissing, or holding each other. I have seen them in peoples gardens a lot.

Sandra
What about some sort of water feature, the ones that just have the water running down a flat piece of stainless steel at the back? Im at work now but will try and find a pic tonight.
Haven't read all the other responses yet, but I'd put some stylish cushions. Make it a place to sit when taking shoes off/on. We have a seat in our entry, and EVERYONE uses it to take off their shoes and put them back on.
^^I'm guessing it would only have a frame underneath. In places it would just be plaster and it may not hold a person's weight.
Related
4/02/2024
Pot filler tap over hob

General Discussion

Hello I'm remodeling my kitchen and evaluating ideas. We are in the last stages of drawing and I am now considering putting a pot filler tap in above the hob. Has anyone…

23/05/2023
Which entry door pull handle to go for?

Building A New House

Black on light wood does look good. Not sure if it will be as long lasting as a steel finish?

10/03/2024
Fittting Lower Ground entry door/landing in 2200mm of FFL

Renovation + Home Improvement

I am looking to design an entry door to a lower ground basement that has 2200mm between the external entry height to FFL of the ground floor. This door will provide an…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum