Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Zebrano for a benchtop...

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We are building the Hayman with B'bank and have been up for a walk through at the colour selection place before our appointment in a few weeks...

What we had in mind and what we left with are 2 different things but I think we're being braver and bolder...

So here is the display kitchen to help you visualise:

Our original idea was to go with a similar tone to the benchtop in the display with all white cebinetry but here is the bolder option

We want to put in a kitchen with Zebrano for the benchtops with white/antique white ish cabinetry and a white textured splashback tile. Here are a few pics of similarly coloured kitchens:

Try and imagine it only on benchtops

Sample from Padbury site:

This is the venus olive floortile we're thinking of putting with it:

Walls will be white smoke (britsol, a very pale grey) with a white trim

Can you picture it? I'm confident but will it be something we're likely to regret a few years down that track (think 70s lime green/mustard laminate)
I applaud your bravery in having something out of the ordinary.......

But personally I couldn't do it - only because the rental we lived in whilst building had all the vanities within the house using that laminate and I was never a fan.

But you should choose what makes your heart sing!! That is the fun part of building a house - doing something that suits you and your family's needs / desires.
Thanks Kyton. I think it does make my heart sing. My Sister just built and her whole place is white so just wanted to do something a 'lil different...
I used a patterned laminex bench to in our bathroom (ebony bellezza), so I would say go for it we are happy with the result. I have kept the tiles simple and gone only with a 2 tone effect and not used any feature tiles.

Cheers Lou
Thanks Lou

It's great to see it on a benchtop! All the pics I have have it here there and everywhere but they are still better than a teeny sample chip...

Kel
I went to the laminex showroom in brisbane the staff are great, I was able to look at a4 size samples, which great to mix and match with, they are also able to give larger samples about 10cmx10cm to take home which really helped when it came to choosing paint and tiles. But I have to agree on the white I did everything to avoid that colour choice.

Cheers Lou
hey ourhouseondunest, I've been meaning to catch up on your thread, I will go + find it...

I swear we are not copying take2, but we are also using a "zebrano" for our laminate...
Quote:
Cabinets ~ Polytec Ash Zebrano
To run horizontally. I l o v e this laminate like others rave about Lustrous Elm and Fudge Stream! (But yikes! Are we brave enough??
)

Ours is called "Ash Zebrano" by Polytec, and we're running it horizontally for all the kitchen cabinets *a n d* (keep this secret because I haven't put up the bathroom/ensuite etc. selections as yet, but we're running the same laminate as benchtops for the bathrooms, powder room, laundry, etc.

We are keeping all the tiling and cabinets around it very very plain around it in those smaller rooms.

kyton
But you should choose what makes your heart sing!! That is the fun part of building a house - doing something that suits you and your family's needs / desires.
What kyton says is absolutely right ~ you have to be happy with it.

~ cheers + good luck, J
vanilla tree
Ours is called "Ash Zebrano" by Polytec, and we're running it horizontally for all the kitchen cabinets *a n d* (keep this secret because I haven't put up the bathroom/ensuite etc. selections as yet, but we're running the same laminate as benchtops for the bathrooms, powder room, laundry, etc.

We are keeping all the tiling and cabinets around it very very plain around it in those smaller rooms.

kyton
What kyton says is absolutely right ~ you have to be happy with it.

~ cheers + good luck, J

Its great to hear you are being brave, and going horizontal with the pattern.
I think running the same laminate in sone way throught the house, just make the colour scheme in flow nicely from room to room. I am happy I kept my tiles simple in the bathrooms with the pattern it would have been too much if I put in feature tiles,(and I was determined to have feature tiles this time around) but with the white and silver basins and tapware it has lifted the rooms nicely.

Cheers Lou
I'm having Padbury Fineline Oak for the cabinetary in our main bathroom and Padbury River Cherry in the ensuite-with both grains running horizonatally. We are having Alpine White Quantun Quartz bench tops to offset the grain and match the above vanity basins
My only concern having it in the kitchen would be scratching, bathrooms are a bit different, they aren't used as often.
Our current laminate is 20 plus years old and due to the pattern hides scratches well - weheras my Mum's 30 year old 'solid colour' laminate is scratched left/right and centre - so fingers crossed the Zebrano will camoflage scratches...
Yes, I wouldn't have a plain laminate benchtop in the kitchen, I have one in the laundry and it's already scratched just from the laundry basket. I have Fudge Stream in one powder room on the bench and it was scratched slightly when the lights were going in. It does scratch easily, but Fudge Stream is darker and probably shows up scratches more. You could be ok with Zebrano.
I think it’s a bit heavy….sorry, that’s it for me, I’m moving on.

But hey, as I’ve always said, if YOU like it, then that’s all that counts.
Related
1/04/2024
Holes in mitred edge of stone benchtop

General Discussion

Hi Courtney The mitred edges are glued up with epoxy so those little holes and gaps are areas that weren't filled correctly. Silicone is the wrong product to fill them…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum