Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Colour detectives! Can you help match a colour?

Page 1 of 1
I've been very needy lately but I'm going to call on the collective genius of H1 to help me place a colour I saw recently in the Ikea bedrooms catalougue.

I would describe it as a mid-light steel blue, like a soft grey with a definite blue tint. Here is a picture of my inspiration, with the colour of interest on the back wall:

Now I've got the catalogue in front of me, and my laptop screen shows a much more saturated colour compared to the printed version. On the left is a closeup of the picture, and on the right is the same one with 50% desaturation (just to show you the difference to my eyes between the printed catalogue and the online picture).

My attempts at matching the colour have led me to:

Top is directly from the catalogue screenshot. Bottom are 3 different versions of the same hue, so they're the same "colour" but different lightness.
Would opening the photo in Photoshop allow you to find the RGB code for the catalogue colour....? Then you could find the closest match.

Maybe....?
That's a good idea!

Selecting from highest to lowest point on the paint selection of the picture and taking an average RGB value yields:

R: 107
G: 118
B: 130

or a ratio of 1 : 1.1 : 1.2

My swatch ratio is 1 : 1 : 1.1

So looks like I need to find a colour which is slightly more green and blue.
nice colour!

is an ikea store handy to you? cause in their room displays instore, they usually have written on the walls which colour they have painted it. then you just have to hope that that picture was taken in the ikea store near you i guess!

kek's option sounds a bit more practical
Donuts thanks for the tip! At the very least I'm sure that I can contact them directly to ask about it - wonder if they'll reply hahaha

Using the RGB values I get pretty close with "Buoyant", and I've included it's lighter sibling "Spartan Blue" as I've got a feeling that it's probably going to be darker in real life.

I'm planning on teaming it up with white and splashes of electric lime for funsies in what will eventually be the kid's room
Woah
I can't believe you worked that out
Hope Buoyant turns out to be the colour of your dreams
I love Photoshop (and my Dulux fandeck....don't tell anyone, but I like to hug it
My precious......
)

haha kek
kek
I love Photoshop (and my Dulux fandeck....don't tell anyone, but I like to hug it
My precious......
)

Any input on the colour selection Michelle
Vundaful!

Using the RGB values I get pretty close with "Buoyant", and I've included it's lighter sibling "Spartan Blue" as I've got a feeling that it's probably going to be darker in real life.

I'm planning on teaming it up with white and splashes of electric lime for funsies in what will eventually be the kid's room

Ohh sorry V, I thought you had it all sorted!

Love the colours you have selected!!
Haha thanks Michelle
Means a lot having a professional A-OK your decisions, I'm just muddling through this colour selection business as best I can
I'll be getting colour sample pots in the next few days so I'll let everyone know what the colours look like!
Vundaful that is a gorgeous colour in that catelogue. I think the blues you have chosen are nice but the colour in the catelouge looks murkier, more grey than the other colours. Could also be my screen.

When you go into the paint store, take the catelogue as they have these huge colour books with more shades of colours so you might be able to find the exact match.
ooh that is such a nice colour!! where you going ot use it??
Thanks Mango, I'll definitely have to see what the Bunnings colour matcher says about that blue.

Caz - planning on doing the master bedroom in the blue
I was going to do the 2 bedrooms but I think I'll wait until we have kids to inspire us
I've seen so many awesome nurseries and kids rooms, and I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to go pigeonholing the rooms before I even have kids
I’ve used Buoyant many times in the past when blue was MORE than popular where I live.

It’s a stunning colour!
Related
8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

3/09/2023
Can you build on both side fence boundaries (Victoria)?

General Discussion

Hey everyone Not for me or anyone I know, just generally interested. For a single allotment house, are you allowed to take the fence on both sides of your house and…

6/03/2024
Can you save money with an architect?

General Discussion

I've just had a look at the website. The company are just building broker's. There are plenty of similar companies that basically draw your plans (they own them so you…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum