Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Ikea Karlstad Sofa

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

We are in the process of buying a new sofa and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Kalstrad sofa range from Ikea?

We have not long moved into our new house (new, but established house) and still getting a feel for the space. The living room is quite large/open plan but we don't want to close it in with anything too big or bulky. Also, we have a 15month old and a new bub on the way so I figure the Ikea sofa could be good for a few reasons :

1) it's very cheap and suits our budget at the moment given we have so much we need/want to do to the house
2) it can be returned if we set it up and think that it doesn't work at all
3) it has removable covers so can be washed - perfect for little kids stage of life
4) we are still getting a feel for our house and what look we want etc so this option could be a good short term option to see us through the 'unsure' stage and the 'young kids' stage all at once.

All sounds good on paper, but we are yet to look at them close enough to see if they look nice and are comfortable. So this is why I am just wondering if anyone has any experience or input into my line of thinking.

Thanks everyone... I am loving finding this part of the forum - didn't know it existed...

Ceebs
I can’t help you….I can’t remember the last time I was in an Ikea store.

We don’t have one here where I live, thank goodness, one less shop for me to visit often

Anyone else???
Not surprised they don't have Ikea in Nowra! LOL Michelle's a long way from the 'big smoke' and it might have been a while since she's been to the city!!

Ceebs -- I think that Ikea is a great choice if you're on a budget with small kids around. If you like it then that's what's important

Pix
Pixelated
Not surprised they don't have Ikea in Nowra! LOL

Michelle's a long way from the 'big smoke' and it might have been a while since she's been to the city!!

Too long!!!!
with feet :

without feet :
Thanks folks...

Pix - thanks for the feedback. We could afford to spend more, I guess I'm just a bit nervous about making a wrong decision (on all fronts - style, colour, size combination) - and to be honest still haven't seen my 'perfect' sofa (I'm quite fussy and can generally find something 'not quite right' with every one I look at
). So I just figured a decent 'budget' sofa could be the way to go until we have a clearer understanding of what we really want, and what would work best in our room (ie, these would be 'testers' really) - and of course they would see us through that 'vegemite hands' kids stage. But, in saying all that, it still has to look right and feel right so we'll see what comes of our trip to Ikea on Monday.

Southies - is that your room/sofa? Sofa looks great in the green and suits the colouring of your room beautifully. We haven't seen the colours close up yet, but if the colour is right I think we would go with the dark grey (looks like they have two dark grey options??). I want something along the dark grey/charcoal line and brighten it up with cushions/rug etc. (And would def go with the 'legs' option too).
If that is your sofa - how have you found it? Is it comfy enough? Are the arms too high (and/or too high)?

Will keep you posted how we go after Monday (have so much else I want to get, like the white tulip breakfast table and some drawers and other bits and pieces so it will be quite an exciting shopping trip I think).

Ceebs
We have leather couches, and a 22m and 3 year old- they are pretty forgiving. Except for the biro, haven't been able to get that out yet!
Yes Caroline, I know - leather is a good kid friendly option. But for some reason I just can't be 'sold' on getting a leather sofa. Who knows, if I see the right one I'm open to it, but so far, still prefer a fabric.

Thanks for your suggestion though - it's definitely an option.
Ceebs
Southies - is that your room/sofa? Sofa looks great in the green and suits the colouring of your room beautifully. We haven't seen the colours close up yet, but if the colour is right I think we would go with the dark grey (looks like they have two dark grey options??). I want something along the dark grey/charcoal line and brighten it up with cushions/rug etc. (And would def go with the 'legs' option too).
If that is your sofa - how have you found it? Is it comfy enough? Are the arms too high (and/or too high)?

sorry Ceebs, it ain't mine
. I nicked it off google
Got 'em!
Got 2 x 3 seaters in the Silvik Dark Grey (something like that). Only thing is, they store these particular sofa's off site so we had to order them for collection tomorrow. What's with that?? Ikea is meant to be the pinnacle of 'cash and carry'. Am a tad disappointed we couldn't bring it home with us - but never mind (bought enough other stuff to keep us busy).

Thanks for your input - will come back and review it once we have it all set up and used it a few times.

Ceebs
Just bumping this - any feedback? We are 99% sure we will purchase one of the 3 seaters with chaise option. I was at Ikea today and the only reason I didn't buy one was because they didn't have the colour I was after in stock. I am keen on the Lindo Beige but I couldn't even find one on display in that fabric (and could only find the 2 seater with chaise setup). Anyone with feedback on the sofa and/or the Lindo fabric? I think I found a cushion in the fabric and if it was, it seemed a little coarse/rough but with wear it might become more smooth. The fabric composition is 56% cotton, 25% linen and 19% polyester. The other beige colour is a bit too light in colour (and is a different fabric type) and the brown is a bit too dark.
Related
You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum