Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Help! Will have every red available soon....

Page 1 of 1
I have spent all weekend going to Solver Paints trying to get a red for feature walls that I can picture in my head but can't seem to get in real life... I want a deep red, on the edge of burgundy/marone but is still considered red and isn't as purple as burgundy/marone, with the slightest brown tones. Actually, very similar to the colour of our kitchen cupboards. Here's a couple of photos of them:

We started with sample pots for Mesa Red (too orange), Cobalt (too orange) and Rusty Nail (waaay too brown, much more of an outside colour). I went back telling them of my failures, and the guy there showed me colour cards of red starting from bright red to a marone. I picked Ferric Red as I don't know if it's just me but as they got more purple tones in it they got a little bit lighter too, like they weren't vibrant. Anyhow, that was a very bright red, far brighter than the colour card. I really need to get closer to the colour I want because it's costing me a fortune, especially as with the Ferric Red I had to buy a 1L tin as they don't do red base sample pots (and they had me convinced I would love the colour)! Originally, the colour card for Dulux Colorbond Manor Red was very, very close to what I want but the Solver version looks darker on the colour card (I thought they were all the same?).

I would really prefer to stay with Solver Paints as we get a really, really good discount with them.

Can anyone help me and tell me what reds to try out so I don't end up getting every red they have available?

mrs_smith

Remind me Mrs Smith, if I forget you!!!!
No worries
Bump!

(I'm not sure if I can get on over the next couple of days so thought I'd do it now...)
Try Solver "Venetian Red" in their Heritage Range.
I got a chance to pop in quickly
Thanks Michelle
We'll grab a sample pot on Saturday
How did you go Mrs Smith??
Hi Michelle!

When we went in we were told Venetian Red is an exterior colour only. The person there tried to match it with the closest interior colour which was Pinot Noir but it was too dark. When my MIL saw it she said she used a colour similar to it but not so dark in their investment property, and found the bottle with the colour in it in the shed. We tried that and it was perfect! Except they couldn't find the lid with the name on it, so we went in to get the colour matched at Bunnings as we knew it was a Dulux, and the colour match came up really off. So the person there got a very similar colour, Red Passion, and added some black to it (3.5 M for the sample pot 250mL). We tried that again, loved it and went back to buy it. I'm so relieved we finally got the colour!
The person at your local paint shop doesn’t know what they are talking about, any colour can be used inside, its outside that you sometimes have a problem, the only thing I can think of is they don’t have a based in an interior paint, but if you want a sample pot, there is no problem. Go to another paint shop, I know you can get that colour for interior use.
This is a very disappointing thread........

I thought it was going to be all about Grange, St Henri, Bin 389 etc and someone needed some sort of help dealing with "every red available". Had that been the case, I would've been keen to help.

Cheers
zeke
zeke
This is a very disappointing thread........

I thought it was going to be all about Grange, St Henri, Bin 389 etc and someone needed some sort of help dealing with "every red available". Had that been the case, I would've been keen to help.

Cheers
zeke

wizard
The person at your local paint shop doesn’t know what they are talking about, any colour can be used inside, its outside that you sometimes have a problem, the only thing I can think of is they don’t have a based in an interior paint, but if you want a sample pot, there is no problem. Go to another paint shop, I know you can get that colour for interior use.

It was a red oxide base which was only available in exterior paint, and they said exterior paint isn't as good on the inside as it's a softer paint.
Exterior paint is less washable that interior paint, that’s pretty much the only difference, softer, a little bit. But if you want to use that colour, you can still do so, just go to a different paint store. Other brands will be able to do that same colour in an interior paint, both Haymes and Taubmans can do it in an interior paint 100%, but you may not have access to Haymes paint. You should still be able to get a sample pot of that colour anywhere though.
Thanks Wizard
We got the dulux one as it was exactly what we had pictured in the end. I really wanted a washable one because eventually there will be kiddies and didn't want grubby fingerprints to be part of the feature, so I guess it worked out well too
Related
10/05/2024
New build every wall doing this…

General Discussion

We recently moved into our new build. We have no idea what is happening as every wall has a perfectly straight horizontal line going through it. It stands out terribly.…

8/02/2024
Survey for those who built recently, building now or soon

Building A New House

https://form.jotform.com/240284569218058 Please spare a moment to fill out this survey form for a project. You stand a chance to win a digital gift voucher. Legitimate…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum