Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Hog Bristle or Grand Piano???

Page 1 of 1
I'm really indecisive (at best!) and I'm trying to decide between Hog Bristle 1/4 or Grand Piano 1/4 for main interior walls. I tried a sample pot of the Hog Bristle 1/4 and while it is a nice colour and suits the tiles which are a beige/grey colour, it does seem to look quite yellow in some areas of the house. Do you think the Grand piano has as much yellow undertones? They both look very similar, it's hard to tell.

I'm also trying to choose a white for the kitchen cabinets. I like Antique White USA and Whisper White but don't know which would compliment the Hog Bristle or Grand Piano better.

I'd love to hear your opinions on any of these colours.
Hi.
I have abandonned the whole idea of a neutral and will be going white throughout.
However, if I were going to use the neutral, I prefer Grand Piano to Hog's Bristle
We've chosen grand piano half with whisper white half for the doors and trim.
I have a board here painted half whisper white and half antique white usa. The antique white usa is brown/pink next to the greener whisper white which looks brighter and cooler (and a better match for my ikea white furniture). I like both. I might have gone with hog bristle if my parents didn't use it just recently. It is really nice but I wanted to be different of course.
I too want something slightly greyer but still warm. I can't really say if grand piano is *it* as we haven't used it yet. Would be nice to see some pics. I really like beige royal too - definitely less yellow.
I think 1/4 strength would be very light! I would probably just do a plain white with it. I have fleeting regrets of not choosing full strength.
I ended up choosing White Duck 1/2 for a greyer neutral - Hog Bristle was had too much yellow for me.
Thanks for all your speedy replies.

I've just painted a sample of Grand Piano 1/4 and also Buff It 1/4. Just waiting for them to dry now...

I also really like Beige Royal but it seems to turn out quite grey, which i don't mind but it doesn't seem right on my walls. Initially I was planning to paint all the walls Antique White USA which would have been less of a headache, but since I've decided to add a bit of colour it's been doing my head in trying to find the right one
Add colour with your accessories…..it doesn’t have to be on the walls.

By having a blank canvas, as your walls, gives you room to move in any direction with ALL colours.
Our kitchen has White on White doors and we have full strength Grand Piano with White on White doors, architraves and windows.
Our house has just finished being painted with 1/2 strength hog bristle on walls and 1/4 strength on doors and trims.. It looks great I love it!!
I'm sort of stuck on what color microblinds I should get.

I want use 1/4 strength Hog's bristile on all walls, I have what aluminium frames for the alfresco glass in the living and ding room, white doors and frames, and sandstone color kitchen bench.

I have chosen gun metal grey for the blinds.

Does anyone think I should change the blinds to white?
edensmist, i'm liking this thread. I'm feeling your pain

I'm going some sort of white on my kitchen wall cabinets and trying to decide what wall colour I go with. I was originally going to go with some strength of hog bristle, but I think i'm moving away from that too now. Beige royal, grand piano and white duck seem to be contenders!!
I love Hog Bristle 1/4!!!! Had it in Melbourne, have used it again in this reno!!!

Will show some pics of my current house later in the week (hopefully). Here are some pics of our house in Melbourne, Hog Bristle 1/4 walls, Fair Bianca trim, kitchen cabinetry in Alabaster (a perfect colour match to Hog Bristle 1/4):

MagicJ, thanks for the pics. Did you do the ceiling in Fair Bianca too?
Nope, just ordinary ceiling white
Lancebishop

I want use 1/4 strength Hog's bristile on all walls, I have what aluminium frames for the alfresco glass in the living and ding room, white doors and frames, and sandstone color kitchen bench.

How many are we talking about, and where?
Michelle
Lancebishop

How many are we talking about, and where?

Sorry. My frames are white. The gunmetal microblinds, which is a knockout color, is throughout the whole house.
The open plan lounge/dining area in question has 2 glassed sides of the Alfresco that cuts into the living area. Both these sides have the gunmetal grey blinds.
I got the idea of using a dark color one day while at my mums house.
They have almost white everything, and something similar to hogs breath on their walls too.
We had the blinds down and open at horizontal, and in the evening light, the long dark lines the blinds made looked very cool against their light room.
I thought it might work. I just worried about it not working now, and being stuck with it....
Magicj those pictures are fantastic, what a house!

The Hogs Bristle Breath or whatever, seem yellower in the pictures than it does on my sample swatch from Dulux. I got the impression it was like a very very light, cuppacino, or mocha or in that "beige" sense.

Love the pictures.

By the way I had a flat in Melbourne. I pianted the kitchen walls, in an enamel, low sheen color called Clotted Cream. Sometimes you just can't get that extra pop and refinement with acrylic, but I tell ya, the fumes almost killed me while painting it, but the end result. The whole kitchen looked like one of those sculptures made from butter. It was great for a kitchen. And I used enamel because I scored it for free as I was a painter at the time. Good experiment.
Lancebishop
Magicj those pictures are fantastic, what a house!

The Hogs Bristle Breath or whatever, seem yellower in the pictures than it does on my sample swatch from Dulux. I got the impression it was like a very very light, cuppacino, or mocha or in that "beige" sense.

Love the pictures.

By the way I had a flat in Melbourne. I pianted the kitchen walls, in an enamel, low sheen color called Clotted Cream. Sometimes you just can't get that extra pop and refinement with acrylic, but I tell ya, the fumes almost killed me while painting it, but the end result. The whole kitchen looked like one of those sculptures made from butter. It was great for a kitchen. And I used enamel because I scored it for free as I was a painter at the time. Good experiment.

Hi LanceBishop! A lot of people on here say they find yellow in the Hog's Bristle, but I've never noticed it being particularly yellow. I have always thought of it as a really rich cream - really pale and light, but somehow a whole lot warmer than white. It seems to go with everything too. Our current house (which we didn't build) is not oriented ideally for light and in some areas is quite dark, so we needed a light flow colour - having had Hog 1/4 in Melbourne and loved it, there was no other choice for me
!
Hi Guys,
We recently painted the interior of our home and where original going with "white' everything. After finding soooo many different whites and ending up with so many samples on the walls we finally agreed that they where all either too cold looking or had yellow or grey undertones. So we ended up going with the following:
Ceiling - basic ceiling white
Walls - Dulux Male quarter ( like a very very light latte colour, actually found the colour by accident in Bunnings)
wood work incuding doors - Dulux Lexicon half ( White without being vivid)

We are so happy we changed our mind and have found that we have the best of both worlds, lots of light but with a warm feeling.
Everyone comments when they see it saying how show homey it looks.
Related
You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum