Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Interior wall colour that goes with Blue carpet!!

Page 2 of 3
Wow Michelle 15000 posts no wonder you are so good at what you do.
I think the colour will warm on me lol.
but yes I think the full strength might have been a bit dark.
Do you think I should now put 1/4 strenth up the hall now or just put half all through the house?
½ should be fine up the hall, what do you think?

Is it looking light enough?

Thanks for the congrats…..I’ve been here over 3 years.
I don’t have a home……………
Hi Michelle,
Yes I think it is looking light enough, although a little green. lol.
I think it is just my eyes perhaps, I dont know how you look at colours all day!!!

I almost wish it was a little browner. Originally I almost went with Buff it, but I thought it was a bit pink.
loniaj
Hi Michelle,
Yes I think it is looking light enough, although a little green. lol.

Have you done the second coat yet?
If not your looking at the yellow through the first coat.
Its not green, I just had another look……….you had me worried!

I think it is just my eyes perhaps, I dont know how you look at colours all day!!!

Its easy for me, I’ve been doing this 14 years, it just comes natural now.

I almost wish it was a little browner. Originally I almost went with Buff it, but I thought it was a bit pink.

Buff It is a little on the pink side.

So what happens is, when you take a colour and go up in shades it sort of takes away from the original colour.
So I could have given you a browner colour, but it would have been too dark for you internally.
So you then would have to take it back to ½ or ¼, now loosing the true element in the colour.

Ioniaj, I really hope you end up liking the colour on your walls...*fingers crossed* It's just so hard when you don't know quite what you want but have to make a choice and you just want it to be made/done but then don't know if you've made the right one, and so on...

Hey Michelle, that's so true about the colours losing themselves as you lighten them...this is a bit of an issue for me in STILL trying to choose paint colours for my ensuite walls! I want 2 different colours, and just don't know what...lol. I tend to keep being drawn to a sort of mushroom/capuccino shade, but very pale, and putting that with a darker fawn sort of shade...but then I'd be concerned the room would look too dark (it's tiny already) but at the same time, I don't really want to go half or quarter on everything because they never look quite right then... The other scheme I like tends to be a cream (definitely not white, but a non-yellow cream shade) and a cool sort of dusky pale brown/fawn colour. I think this would look really good, but perhaps not in MY particular ensuite. Ah, the decisions...lol
Thanks Michelle,
I have only put one coat on so far and the colour underneath was that horrible Beige Royal that my friend suggested.
I will do the second coat tomorrow and let you know how it looks.
Everyone I have spoken to loves Hogs Bristle so I am sure I will get use to it.
You would think they could have called it something nicer?

Hey Michelle, if I was later down the track wanting to do a feature wall what colour would you suggest?
Oh no, what's wrong with Beige Royal!? I looked at it online before and really liked it. Did it come out overly yellow?
loniaj
Thanks Michelle,
I have only put one coat on so far and the colour underneath was that horrible Beige Royal that my friend suggested.
I will do the second coat tomorrow and let you know how it looks.
Everyone I have spoken to loves Hogs Bristle so I am sure I will get use to it.
You would think they could have called it something nicer?

Hey Michelle, if I was later down the track wanting to do a feature wall what colour would you suggest?

I’d need a photo of the room to get it right, this way I get to see all your furniture as well.
So wait till you have painted then post a photo so I can see.
grace_slick
Oh no, what's wrong with Beige Royal!? I looked at it online before and really liked it. Did it come out overly yellow?

Beige Royal is a great exterior colour, full is a bit dark for internals. Not yellow though, more on the grey side.
Ah, I see. That makes sense now. lol
Grace_slick, Michelle is right it is definatly an outdoor colour.
When I put it on my walls it looked like Wet Cement, horrible lol.

I will post some photos for you Michelle when I finish the painting.

Thanks xoxo
Hahaha Michelle,
My husband just came into the study and said, " I think we should do it in Full Strenght Hogs Bristle ",
I was thinking the same thing.
The half is lovely but I think you were right the full strength will give it a nice depth, but I will still put half hog up the hall way.
Aaaahhh Husbands lol.
Hi Michelle,

Started painting today Full Strength Hogs Bristle.
I am inlove with the colour, THANK YOU!!!!

I will post some pics when we finish!!!!
My pleasure
Hi Michelle,
I have a pine unstained or painted cabinet that I want to paint white.
What paint do you recommend?
Hi Gloss or does it have to be enamal?

Also with interior trims, does it have to be done in enamal or just high gloss, when my husband origanally painted the house he did them in enamal, took him for ever lol.

Thanks xo
Enamel is stronger!!!!

I suggest full gloss enamel for your furniture as well.
Hi Michelle,

As you know we are painting the walls Full Strength Hog Bristle, loving it!!!

Anyway we are looking at painting the skirtings and trims, you said to go pure white. Which pure white would you suggest?

Also when my hubby first painted the trims he did them in an oil based enamal, Dulux have a product called Aquanamel, it is water based and low odour and quicker drying. I would like to use this but have read that you need to sand the oil based enamal before painting with a water based enamal, is this right?
If I have to sand all the trims in my house I will be here for a year we have so much lol.

Thanks Michelle xo
Loniaj….I would never think to paint anything before I gave it a light sand back first! That’s a must! You need to sand and wipe down all your trims and doors before painting.

(you should have sanded your walls as well?????)

Yes rule of thumb, never paint a water base paint over enamel….now I know this, cause I’ve done it!

The paint doesn’t stick to the oil base!

That’s why you need to sand.

Sanding provides a good surface for new paint to stick to, it’s important.

Pure White….no tints no shades…..heres a really good quote from a painter in here….perfect!

If you want pure white on everything use....
Dulux professional tintable ceiling flat for ceilings
Dulux wash and wear 101 low sheen on walls or dulux professional premium low sheen acrylic
water based trims - aqua-namel gloss or semi gloss or professinal premium oil based enamel.
All come with no tints unless you ask for them each product is roughly $16 per litre for retail.
How funny, I went to my girlfriends house today to help her choose a wall colour to go with her blue carpet....and we agreed on Hogs Bristle!!

At least I know Michelle would agree, phew!!!!
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

23/01/2024
Interior stone wall DIY

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi Would love some advice on a DIY project I've dived into that's now keeping me up at night. We've got a cool 1970's Mid Century style house here in NZ and have always…

8/09/2023
H2 Blue Pine

Bugs & Suggestions

I’m just in the process of replacing 2 stud walls that have been severely damaged by termites and am planning to use h2 blue pine. I just wanted to if anyone can advise…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum