Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

wife and hubby can't agree, need other opinions

Page 1 of 1
What a great forum, i found it searching through google images

My wife and i cant agree on our colour scheme. Well it's only the tiles really.
O.k i'll give you some info. We are renovating the kitchen and lounge room at the same time,
We are going with white walls except one wall is all glass (tinted) with a black alloy frame.
We have orderd the Jasper lounge from King Furniture in a light cream colour. (in cord)
We have a 4 panel timber artwork with dark red and black paint and a carving etched out that leaves a cream look to the timber. We saw a rug today that we want to buy that matches the dark red in the art work. Were exited about the rug as we are never this adventurous with colour.

The problem.... We bought our tiles a long time ago that are a brownie colour and when we put the tile, lounge swatch, artwork and some strands of the rug together, in my opinion, it didn't go together. everything matched except the tiles. My wife thinks it looks ok but i don't agree. The tiles look great to the lounge colour but not the dark red. i think we should sell the tiles and get a dark grey or charcoal tile. Iv'e liked the charcoal look for some time and with a cord lounge and splashes of dark red here and there it shouldn't look to cold
Does my wife need convincing or do i?

Heres a photo of the art

heres a photo of the tile colour with the lounge colour swatch and some strands from the rug we want

WE NEED HELP!!
Hi and welcome jim+sim

I think I agree with you, a charcoal tile would look much much nicer. I think you need to try harder to convince your wife
I second a charcoal tile. Hopefully selling the brown tiles will get you part of the way to buying the charcoal ones.

Judie
Sorry to confuse you even more, but I like all of them. Don't make the mistake of trying to make it match, but if it looks good then go with it. The brown in the wall-art picks up the tile colour nicely.

I think it will look great, but selling the tiles may cost more than it's worth the hassle. If it concerns you, can you use the wall-art somewhere else? By the way, I LOVE THE WALL ART!! Where did you get it??

Good luck! Send pics when your done.
StressedOut
Sorry to confuse you even more, but I like all of them. Don't make the mistake of trying to make it match, but if it looks good then go with it. The brown in the wall-art picks up the tile colour nicely.

I think it will look great, but selling the tiles may cost more than it's worth the hassle. If it concerns you, can you use the wall-art somewhere else? By the way, I LOVE THE WALL ART!! Where did you get it??

Good luck! Send pics when your done.

I agree with StressedOut completely, I like all of it as well.
I am new on here so my opinion may not mean much

I like the brown as there is a small amount of brown in the artwork, that should make them work well together.

You might end up with too much charcoal colour
I don’t have a problem with the brown as well.
Grey will look ok also, but this choice is up to you.

Going down the track of selling existing tiles is only something you and your wife can agree on.

But with my first glance at it all, I was quite happy with the combination.
it's not the art to tile that im worried about it's the rug to tile.
it might be cheaper to just not go with the red rug.
The thing that im thinking is that i think charcoal/grey will have a more wider variaty of colours that can go with it.
Im just thinking that once the tiles are down there down and i want to get it right the first time.

StressedOut i bought it at a little shop in frankston on Nepean Hwy. It's imported from Indonesia. He has one other carving art there thats just black paint on the timber and the carving is of bamboo trees. it's not as big as the one i have but it has a big impact.
Oh and as far as moving it there's only one wall thats big enough to have the wall art so it's stuck there. 1 wall has the brick work for the fire place, 1 wall is a window and the other is the kitchen/sliding door to balcony/window. well there is one other spot to the right of the fireplace but thats above the staircase more towards the corner
If the colours in the pic are a good representation I like the tiles that you have. The brown looks like more of a taupe, which is a good neutral. I like it with that deep red, actually. Very sophisticated!
xquisite
If the colours in the pic are a good representation I like the tiles that you have. The brown looks like more of a taupe, which is a good neutral. I like it with that deep red, actually. Very sophisticated!

I agree!
Related
11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

28/09/2023
If a Builder is taking deposits and not getting DBI how can

General Discussion

Thanks. I called VBA today and they said it was a Consumer Affairs issue, the old handball. Seems like the government organisations don't want to do their job at the moment.

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum