Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Three coats for white paint?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Michelle,

Looking for some help when you have time, no rush, no appointment yet for colour selection, maybe in a week or so.

The builder only has a very small selection of whites in the standard paint range and none of these are as white as I want.

They say that these are the only whites that they can guarantee will cover the gyprock in two coats and that if we select another white we will have to pay over $2k for third coat.

I really don't want to spend $2k on something I thought was included but I had my heart set on walls, ceilings and trims in a somethign like Antique White USA or even whiter.

What do you think? Do you think a paint this light would need three coats?

Thanks!
Hi Rachelle, I doubt that Antique White USA should be a problem with 2 coats. It’s quite a deep white with a slight hint of very pale lemon in it, so it’s not directly a white…..to me!

You should have no problems.

My suggestion, use the Antique White USA and then do your trims in pure white.

If you go any lighter than the Antique White USA, you may not get good coverage.

Obviously your builder has had this problem before……nothing an undercoat wouldn’t fix,
but hey, that’s another coat!
Hi Michelle,
sorry to hijack Rachelle, but i was wondering what Michelle meant by not getting good coverage if you use a white that is whiter than the Antique white USA?

We are using Lexicon 1/2 stregth for our ceiling and skirting, do you think it's not a good idea?
Michelle
Obviously your builder has had this problem before……nothing an undercoat wouldn’t fix,
but hey, that’s another coat!

Wonderland…what’s your builder said you have to do?

I was actually being a tat bit naughty and pocking fun at the builder……

I’m not fighting with them anymore, if that’s what the builder says, then that’s what we do.
Thanks Michelle.
My builder is giving us 3 coats, and they haven't told us anything about coverage.

I will start my own post soon and ask for your advice on my colour selections. I'm getting abit worried now, second guessing all my selections.
3 coats……you’re set.

I look forward to seeing your selections, stop second guessing yourself……you have must have too much time on your hands????

Take up knitting………….
oh wow, thanks Michelle! I forgot about this thread!

So is two coats really stingy and not the norm?
Hi Rachelle,

We had three coats & it gives a good coverage.

I think you would be dissapointed with 2?
Rachelle
oh wow, thanks Michelle! I forgot about this thread!

So is two coats really stingy and not the norm?

Just judging by what I have seen by some of the painters, I wouldn’t trust them with 2 coats.
Rachelle, if it makes you feel better, I’m paying my painter close to 5K to paint my next house out. My house is probably half the size of what you are building

Thanks to the very strong colours in many colours throughout the house, I have to have 3 coats to cover it all. Plus probably 4 coats on the deep stained timber work.

I’m also having semi gloss on all my ceilings.

5K…but to me it’s worth it, he’s one of the best painters I’ve had working with me, and I know his work is outstanding.

Plus, I won’t have to touch those walls for a very long time.

People can call a colour consultant in to give them advice and have a fantastic colour scheme throughout the house.
But if the paint job is bad, it just doesn’t happen.
Thanks Michelle!
I know, I know, but its so hard not to second guess yourself when you come on this forum. All of a sudden, another colour looks better. And there are so many people here second guessing their selections that it makes you second guess yours.

I have tried knitting actually, got mum to teach me. But i soon got over it as my friends were making fun of me and I just didnt have the attention span for it!
wonderland
:lol: Thanks Michelle!
I know, I know, but its so hard not to second guess yourself when you come on this forum. All of a sudden, another colour looks better. And there are so many people here second guessing their selections that it makes you second guess yours.

I have tried knitting actually, got mum to teach me. But i soon got over it as my friends were making fun of me and I just didnt have the attention span for it!

I guess watching everyone else here second guessing doesn’t make it any easier for you all.

Be confident, anyway post them all up and we tell you how well you have done then you can move onto crocheting
me again

They guarantee that two coats will do if we select one of their colours, so if it doesn't cover they'll have to do another coat, but only if we select one of these colours.

Otherse we can pay $2500 for another coat.

Also I spoke to Taubmans and the guy basically said that there are tried and tested colours that will cover in two coats, and the painter will have to make sure that it does - he said that if you choose another colour the painter might even be a bit stingy to save money because he doesn't have to make sure it covers in two coats - might spread em thin.

I think I'm just going to go with Antique white USA anyway because I love it, and deal with the problem later eg offer to pay him extra cash to make sure it covers. What do you think about that idea?

Otherwise Michelle would you pretty please do me another favour? If we do go with one of their colours like husband wants to, which of these would you pick? Bristol Ashwood or Bristol Coral Fern. Floor will be warmish grey tiles, kitchen is all white, blinds white etc. Windows are Surfmist. Thank you!!
Rachelle
Also I spoke to Taubmans and the guy basically said that there are tried and tested colours that will cover in two coats, and the painter will have to make sure that it does - he said that if you choose another colour the painter might even be a bit stingy to save money because he doesn't have to make sure it covers in two coats - might spread em thin.

Very true!!!!
Rachelle…..I quite like the Ash Wood, its also slightly darker than the Antique white USA.

Either colour will work.
cool thanks for that.

They've told us that we can't select tiles until fixing stage so I'm going to tell them that they can't expect us to pick paint until we have tiles. So when we pick the tiles I'll have to decide whether we want to pay a bit extra for the antique white usa or whether the Ashwood will go.

Thanks again x
I see your point on the tiles and paint.

But after hearing how many people in here have chosen tiles, only to find they have been discontinued before they get to use them!

No wonder the builder is waiting.
Related
8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

10/12/2023
Small black specks appearing on new white Caesar Stone

Kitchen Corner

Thankyou for your advice. We do have Caesar coming out and hopefully resolve the issue for us.

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum