Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Should the Laundry and kitchen match?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2 bedroom unit that i will eventually be renovating.

The laundry is right next to the kitchen and i was wondering if they should match? I think it would look odd to have them different when they are so close to each other! But then it also might be odd to have them match

The kitchen will most likely have timber floors (along with the rest of the living areas) and the laundry will be tiled.

Any tips?

Thank you
bev, because they are so close I would definitely have them matching or very very similar
I agree I would match them.
I am matching my kitchen and laundry with the same tiles benchtop and cupboards. Then my bathroom and ensuite are going to match each other even though they are not close to each other.

With yours being next to each other I think it would have a better flow through effect.
SuH
bev, because they are so close I would definitely have them matching or very very similar

X2
Thanks for the replies

I haven't decided what my kitchen is going to be made up of yet, but for example it seems excessive to have Caesar Stone in the laundry

Should i have the timber floors in the laundry too so that its seamless?
Hi, I too have match my kitchen, laundry, bathroom, toilet and ensuite. I was hoping to keep it quite simple and hope it looks good once it is done

I am having floor tiles for the majority of the home and carpet to the hallway leading to all the bedrooms and dining/lounge area. So in my home it will be carpet meeting with the tiles in the wet areas and as I have put in a waste point in the floor of the laundry I have tiles.
Renosmakemeweary
SuH

X2

X3
thorney
Renosmakemeweary
SuH

X2

X3

X4
Tillie
Hi, I too have match my kitchen, laundry, bathroom, toilet and ensuite. I was hoping to keep it quite simple and hope it looks good once it is done

I am having floor tiles for the majority of the home and carpet to the hallway leading to all the bedrooms and dining/lounge area. So in my home it will be carpet meeting with the tiles in the wet areas and as I have put in a waste point in the floor of the laundry I have tiles.

Ah of course, i forgot about the waste point in the laundry. I will keep the tiles in there in that case.

SuH, looks liked you summed it up nicely there
Apart from the waste drainage, timber floors don't cope too well with water, I would not put timber or floating floor in a laundry.
you could put tiles in the kitchen however, or have timber in kitchen and tiles in laundry in complementing colours and then do everything else matching - paint, wall tiles, any laundry benchtop etc
I like the 2 spaces matching if close together and can be seen, or close in colour selections.

And as Helyn said, best to stay away from a timber floor in the laundry
Thanks for you help everyone

Now i just need to decide if i want tiles in the kitchen and laundry or just the laundry.
I'd be matching them up too!

bev
I haven't decided what my kitchen is going to be made up of yet, but for example it seems excessive to have Caesar Stone in the laundry

We have matched all our bathrooms kitchen and laundry for our new home. I really wanted to have a nice streamlined look. I also thought it a tad expensive to have CS in the laundry (although I have seen it and it looks divine!!), so I went for Diamond Gloss Laminex in a very similar colour. My laundry is quite a distance away from the kitchen, though!

Good luck!!
Stormy

X2
Stormy

bev

We have matched all our bathrooms kitchen and laundry for our new home. I really wanted to have a nice streamlined look. I also thought it a tad expensive to have CS in the laundry (although I have seen it and it looks divine!!), so I went for Diamond Gloss Laminex in a very similar colour. My laundry is quite a distance away from the kitchen, though!

Good luck!!

+1 There is a laminate that's almost identical to my ceasar stone ktichen bench top so I am putting that into my bathrooms and laundry, the bathroom cupboards are the same as the lower cupboards in the kitchen (dark brown) and the laundry cupboards are going to be the colour of the upper kitchen cupboards - New Beech colour as if I have a dryer, lint might stand out on the darker cupboards
You could just carry through some elements, without making them exactly the same.... maybe the same cabinets and the same floor tiles, but do something different with benchtops or splashbacks.

Or even use a lighter or darker shade of the same wall colour. 1/2 strength in one, full strength in the other, somthing like that. I don't see why they have to be identical, even if they are adjoining. Something to tie them together would be desirable though.

And Lisanne's suggestion of a close matching laminate for your caesarstone is a good idea. Especially if you want to stick to a budget.
You've got some good ideas there kek!

I would most likely have different splash backs, i am hoping i can afford glass in the kitchen. The laundry would just have tiles

You are all so helpful
I have my Kitchen Laundry and powder room all with the same floor tiles, then i have a (as close is i can get it) laminate in the powder room and laundry. As close as i could get it with my quartz stone in the kitchen. i have also went white laminate vanity as my powder room is quite small.
Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! 😊 so, it’s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/07/2023
blocked drain in laundry

General Discussion

Agreed. I just found out today the certifier has not given the final sign off.

24/07/2023
Bathroom/Laundry Combo

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all, Hoping for some inspiration for my bathroom laundry combo. The tiles are in good condition, as is the bathtub. I’ve given it a coat of white paint and added…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum