Join Login
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge

Odour in new curtains

Page 1 of 1
Since putting up 5 sets of new curtains in my living/dining/games room, I have noticed an odd plasticy, I guess chemically smell, as soon as I walk into the room. I thought at first it was a forgotten mouldy lemon in a fruit bowl, but I've narrowed it down to the curtains. Any ideas how I could reduce this smell? Please don't anyone say I have to wash them...I ironed them all before hanging and for 10 m of window, that is a lot of ironing.

You know how you don't notice the way your house smells because you live there all the time? - be it the combination of your washing powder, brands of cleaning products, perfumes, pets etc. But as soon as you walk into someone elses house you notice their particular house smell.... nice or otherwise. well I'm figuring that since I notice this smell all the time, to a visitor it would be quite strong.

I'm feeling quite disenchanted, because it's really bothering me and I spent so much time deciding how to cover these windows, I want to be really happy with them, and basically because of this I'm not.

ta for any suggestions..
doesn't sound very nice! Have you rung the supplier / manufacturer for advice?
Dragonfly
Since putting up 5 sets of new curtains in my living/dining/games room, I have noticed an odd plasticy, I guess chemically smell, as soon as I walk into the room. I thought at first it was a forgotten mouldy lemon in a fruit bowl, but I've narrowed it down to the curtains. Any ideas how I could reduce this smell? Please don't anyone say I have to wash them...I ironed them all before hanging and for 10 m of window, that is a lot of ironing.

You know how you don't notice the way your house smells because you live there all the time? - be it the combination of your washing powder, brands of cleaning products, perfumes, pets etc. But as soon as you walk into someone elses house you notice their particular house smell.... nice or otherwise. well I'm figuring that since I notice this smell all the time, to a visitor it would be quite strong.

I'm feeling quite disenchanted, because it's really bothering me and I spent so much time deciding how to cover these windows, I want to be really happy with them, and basically because of this I'm not.

ta for any suggestions..

Are they backed, with a backing?

The smell will go…..I know this is not for everyone, but I spray things that bother me with perfume….. and lots!

Give them some time; the smell will go eventually, how long have you had them up?
Yes they have the acrylic backing. They've been up maybe three weeks now and to be honest I didn't notice the smell for a week or two. I didn't iron them all at once, I hung them just to get them up and then ironed them in about 3 sessions and I think it got worse after I ironed them.

Well Michelle as you say I guess it might go away eventually, like new paint or carpet smell... I might look for some product like febreze or something...and do some more googling for more ideas. After the weekend, I'm suddenly thinking there are worse things to be worried about.

Dragonfly
After the weekend, I'm suddenly thinking there are worse things to be worried about.

That’s how I’m feeling at the moment as well…..I guess I’ll stop winging about my buying a home for a while, after all, in the big picture…..I doesn’t matter, it will sort itself out.

Unlike other things happening around Australia.
What about something like Glen 20 or Fabreeze? (Not sure of spelling)

I know the smell you mean and it gives me a headache. I'd keep the windows open if they can open at all.
Oh we do have lots of windows that we do open but we're limited some days because we don't have much landscaping in yet and our block is all loose sand so a lot of grit blows in if it's too windy. The joys of a new home!
Glen 20 is a disinfectant and will help if the odour is bacterial.

Febreeze and Refresh are encapsulating odour counteractants that traps odours in a nano polymer which is vacuumed away later.

Some of the chemicals used in processing of fabrics can be quite annoying for quite some time.

If it were a new car smell we would be disapointed when the "Offgassing" of plastics and chemical finally settles down

You could call in professional curtain cleaners who may speed up the process.

Try vacuuming them to remove factory dust and dry processing chemicals and fine loose particles antd that my help settle it down for you. Make sure your vacuum is fitted with HEPA filtration to ensure the dust is not simply recirculated through out the home.
Related
2/06/2023
Ebays Motorised curtains

Building A New House

have you used any of the motorised curtain systems available from Ebay? Which one and how is it?

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

You are here
Building ForumInterior Decorating Lounge
Home
Pros
Forum