Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Adding Steet Appeal

Page 1 of 1
I have a 1980s cream brick house that I want to fix up externally. I'm not sure whether to paint the bricks or render, or what other options are out there. Any suggestions are welcome!
Can you show a photo of the facade? What style would you like to create?

It's a nice wide frontage, but in original condition. The area is fantastic, its zoned as residential character so there are lots of beautiful homes around me. This one was a late addition to the street in 1980, so I'm hoping I can achieve a cottage type look.
A place near me had very similar 80's style with that cream brick. They rendered it grey, added a lot merbau decking, fencing etc. It came up looking great.

In addition to the brickwork, i'd change the gutter, fascia, support post colours and maybe do something to the driveway if budget allows.
d@n
A place near me had very similar 80's style with that cream brick. They rendered it grey, added a lot merbau decking, fencing etc. He came up looking great.

In addition to the brickwork, i'd change the gutter, fascia, support post colours and maybe do something to the driveway if budget allows.

I'd love to see the decking if there's a picture on line at all?
AdrianK
I'd love to see the decking if there's a picture on line at all?

Not online. It's still being worked on by builders. Plus they raised the fence height so getting a clear shot in would be unlikely. It was originally a low height brick fence just like yours.
"A place near me had very similar 80's style with that cream brick. They rendered it grey, added a lot merbau decking, fencing etc. It came up looking great.

In addition to the brickwork, i'd change the gutter, fascia, support post colours and maybe do something to the driveway if budget allows."

I drew plans for a client of mine a few years ago who had a similarly aged house but red brick. He did the extension then rendered the whole house and changed the roof from red terracotta tiles to Colorbond ( the existing roof was shot anyway ). After that he did a few more cosmetic changes to the front and some good landscaping. I reckon he spent $90,000 but added $200,000 to the value of the house at least.

Stewie
Stewie D
"A place near me had very similar 80's style with that cream brick. They rendered it grey, added a lot merbau decking, fencing etc. It came up looking great.

In addition to the brickwork, i'd change the gutter, fascia, support post colours and maybe do something to the driveway if budget allows."

I drew plans for a client of mine a few years ago who had a similarly aged house but red brick. He did the extension then rendered the whole house and changed the roof from red terracotta tiles to Colorbond ( the existing roof was shot anyway ). After that he did a few more cosmetic changes to the front and some good landscaping. I reckon he spent $90,000 but added $200,000 to the value of the house at least.

Stewie

Thanks Stewie, the roof colour is a tough one for me. In a perfect world I'd replace the tiles with a steel roof too. Or at least get it resprayed to a charcoal. I don't know of any budget options around roofing so it will unfortunately be staying as is.
why paint or render the bricks to create an expensive long term maintenance commitment and only change the roof if the tiles are failing..i suggest that you would get more value and improvement of the look and function of your home by investing in new DG windows and landscaping
Have the roof, driveway and that revolting council footpath pressure washed, I swear the place will look so much better if it isn't covered in so much muck.
" why paint or render the bricks to create an expensive long term maintenance commitment "

Because rendering and painting it would cost maybe $20-$30,000 ( actual size of the house is unknown ) but add possibly $60-$70,000 at least. It would also have so much more appeal to buyers if the owners wanted to sell it eventually by bringing the house into the 21st century and not looking like your average drab '70s house.
As for " an expensive long term maintenance commitment ", if it is done properly to start with, a pressure wash clean and paint touch up every 5-7 years is about all you'd need to do.

Stewie
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum