Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Floorplan change - old 3 bed, 1 bath, no laundry house

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

My husband and I (early 30's, no kids but would like to have 2 in the next 5 years or so) are looking to renovate our double brick home, which currently has an enclosed old-style floor plan, tiny ancient kitchen and no internal laundry. Ideally, we'd like to open the space up, renovate the kitchen to be more open plan and have the kitchen opening out onto the backyard as an outdoor entertaining area.

We don't have any building/renovation experience and have tossed around the idea in the floor plan below as phase 1:

- knocking down the yellow highlighted walls (most likely load bearing, we're getting a structural engineer to confirm)
- building a wall in the green highlighted area where the stove, oven, dishwasher etc will be relocated. The current kitchen sink area will be converted to glass doors that open out into the backyard
- converting Bed 3 into an internal laundry

For phase 2, the room that's called "Family" is the only part of the house that's made out of fibro (asbestos yay!) and freezing in winter so we don't spend much time in there and don't want to keep it. Later on, we'd likely demolish the fibro walls of the "Family" room and use that area to extend into another 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. This will be probably 5 years or more away

Looking for feedback and ideas for other ways we may be able to get to where we want (I know knocking down load bearing walls will be likely very exxy). Thanks very much!

hi houzz.com.au has good design discussions if you dont get any traction here fyi
yep, if you want to do sth on load bearing walls, you need the professionals
I think that even if you knocked down the load bearing walls your open plan living room will still be very narrow. Maybe you can convert the lounge/ dining into bedrooms and add a new large family/ dining/ kitchen/ldry at the back south of the kitchen?

Related
16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum