Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

First floor addtiion - Sequence from beginning to build

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone, starting to plan for a first floor addition to my brick veneer house. I would like to get advise on the sequence of steps from the experts here. Obviously, I can get a builder to take care of everything (from design, approval to build), but I think that will be more expensive?

I have a design in mind, subject to feasibility and cost.

In Sydney.

In sequence:
1. Call 5 builders to visit and get a ROUGH idea of the cost and a ROUGH idea of the design
2. Call Draftsman to prepare plans for DA or CDC. Leverage the learnings from the builder's rough design.
3. Call Structural Engineer to draw structural engineering plan
4. I complete DA/CDC application form and submit with all the artefacts produced by draftsman and Structural engineer
5. In the meantime (before the DA is approved), call builders to look at the proposed plan and give a DETAILED cost
6. (Surely the plans will need to be revised) - call Draftsman to update plans and resubmit DA
7. (once the DA is approved), call builders to start the build!

Stakeholders in the above sequence - builder, draftsman, structural engineer. Anyone else i need to call?

Is this sequence correct? I am a bit confused about what a structural engineering actually produce, but I heard they are required for DA submission?
world2160
Is this sequence correct? I am a bit confused about what a structural engineering actually produce, but I heard they are required for DA submission?

Your sequence is incorrect basically planning first then building
1 Development Application DA generally requires a site plan, geotech site report, elevations,Floor Plan, Demolition plan, etc
The Councils website should have a planning checklist
2.After receiving the approved Building Application the next step is Building application (BA)
for that you will require Energy Report, Engineering Structural Reports, Details and plans, Electrical Plans, Cross sections, Stormwater, BAL, Cabinet plans, Compliance /CDC, etc there should be a checklist for BA Submissions
Cheers
Chris
Thanks Chris,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on which trade to contact to do the things you highlighted?
- site plan, geotech site report, elevations,Floor Plan, Demolition plan, etc
- Energy Report, Engineering Structural Reports, Details and plans, Electrical Plans, Cross sections, Stormwater, BAL, Cabinet plans, Compliance /CDC, etc

I know that a builder can do all these, but to save cost i would like to coordinate as much as i can (within my ability).
Not sure why you would get a DA/CDC and then go back through the process again. You only get a DA when you know what you need to get approved, and only make changes in response to requests from the council. You don't do a DA and then do a new DA with changes if you can avoid it.
With our local councils, you lodge the DA then CC, then if there are changes that are more than just say moving a window 500mm then you do a modification to a consent ( mod to a DA ). Updated floorpans and relevant elevations are usually all that are required ( unless it is a more substantial mod ). Sometimes you have to upgrade the other relevant documents like the energy certificates etc as well.

Stewie
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum