Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Planning to build enclosed pergola, requesting advice

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I live in Victoria and I plan to build an enclosed pergola in my backyard. At the moment, there is just a concrete slab where I'd like to build the pergola.

It will be fully enclosed solely for noise and efficiency for a split-system or heater. Not for habitation.

The council have asked me to provide some basic plans and they get me a quote from a building surveyor. The council have already done their checks and said I don't need a planning permit, but only a building permit.

To save me the back and forth, what else do you think they'll want from me? I'd like to provide them with as much information as possible to save the back/forward and time.

Also, any other advice? What else should I expect? Is it recommended to find my own building surveyor to save costs? Basically, I want the process to be as simple and cheap as possible. I will be building it myself with my brother.

It will be a gable roof pergola built with wood and the width is 4.5m and depth is 6.5m.

Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Branded.
branded
Hello,

I live in Victoria and I plan to build an enclosed pergola in my backyard. At the moment, there is just a concrete slab where I'd like to build the pergola.

It will be fully enclosed solely for noise and efficiency for a split-system or heater. Not for habitation.

The council have asked me to provide some basic plans and they get me a quote from a building surveyor. The council have already done their checks and said I don't need a planning permit, but only a building permit.

To save me the back and forth, what else do you think they'll want from me? I'd like to provide them with as much information as possible to save the back/forward and time.

Also, any other advice? What else should I expect? Is it recommended to find my own building surveyor to save costs? Basically, I want the process to be as simple and cheap as possible. I will be building it myself with my brother.

It will be a gable roof pergola built with wood and the width is 4.5m and depth is 6.5m.

Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Branded.

You will require construction, engineering drawings and details for the above ground structure
The existing slab may well need to be inspected for compliance with the NCC or certified equivalent by an engineer
3D Structural Bim eg. here
Patio Deck With Pergola
hth
Related
1/11/2023
Sourcing Enclosed Shower Frame Parts

Bathrooms and Laundry

I need to replace some lengths of aluminum shower frame but I can't seem to find any suppliers of this stuff. Neither the blue or orange home centers carry these things.…

27/02/2024
Seeking advice for a backyard sunroom with a pergola/veranda

Renovation + Home Improvement

i think option 2 is much better with easy access to the garden without having to walk through the new sunroom which makes it a better room for guests and TV .a simple…

11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum