Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

suspended slab?

Page 1 of 1
Hello, I have just bought a 1970's property in Lalor which the ensuite is to be gutted as in pics but I have never heard about a suspended slab and i cant seem to find too much information about them.

from what I can see it appears to be layered as corrugated iron>concrete>loose sandy mortar stuff>fiberous layer>tiling

could somebody please assist me as to what these layers more accurately are.

thanks advance.

Hi abidale Welcome to the forum
It's hard to tell from that distance
But It looks like a composite (Concrete+ chicken wire + Steel formwork) suspended slab ?
It looks too thin..were the floor tiles cracking?
Tiles werent cracking but there are/ were leaks and moukd so it was all comingniut. Ill take some better pics tommorrow for better detail
Looks like simply a sand/cement screed for the tiles which could be over a fibro sheet floor or a concrete slab. Hard to tell as SBG says. Take a torch and climb under the house and you should be able to tell whether it is a timber sub-floor or suspended concrete slab. There is also the possibility that the rest of the house has timber sub-floor eg bearers on brick piers with joists and timber flooring over the top and that there is a concrete slab only under the wet areas like this bathroom and maybe the laundry.

Stewie
Related
20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

2/09/2023
Builder suspended construction, demanding cost increase

Building A New House

How are you doing Ben? Extremely interested in hearing what you are doing or plan to do!

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum