Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Front and side setback in Rural area

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am having an issue with front and side setback as the local council approver for building permits has told me that I have to have a 9m setback as that is what the property frontage must have to be in line with the neighbour. My issue is this is not my frontage, I am on a corner block and my frontage I consider is what faces the main road, where the existing garage is, where the front door is, how do I argue this with someone who is a law unto themselves?
Firstly, which state and local government area are you in?
Why is the council involved? Do you need a planning permit for your build? The building permit is usually given by a private building surveyor, and that's who you need to argue your case with.

The building surveyor will still refer to the building regulations and your local residential zoning, so knowing what that is will help determine your setbacks both to the front and side. Basically the front of your house should be your architectural frontage, which means if your front door and garage are both facing the main road, then that's the front of your house.
ben888
Why is the council involved? Do you need a planning permit for your build? The building permit is usually given by a private building surveyor, and that's who you need to argue your case with.

The building surveyor will still refer to the building regulations and your local residential zoning, so knowing what that is will help determine your setbacks both to the front and side. Basically the front of your house should be your architectural frontage, which means if your front door and garage are both facing the main road, then that's the front of your house.

The council got involved because we disagree on the setback which takes us back to what he things and what I know is the front of the house. I am meeting with a surveyor this week to discuss.
I absolutely agree with what the front of a house is, architectural frontage, front door and garage are both facing the main road, all of which my house is. It appears although it’s all in the definition as because the house was built in the direction it was on the corner does not mean the front isn’t the front. Thanks for your advice
Rhetti
Firstly, which state and local government area are you in?

I am in Victoria and East Gippsland Shire
Sophie66
The council got involved because we disagree on the setback which takes us back to what he things and what I know is the front of the house. I am meeting with a surveyor this week to discuss.
I absolutely agree with what the front of a house is, architectural frontage, front door and garage are both facing the main road, all of which my house is. It appears although it’s all in the definition as because the house was built in the direction it was on the corner does not mean the front isn’t the front. Thanks for your advice

So your building surveyor doesn't agree that is the front of the house?

Have a look at my corner build. I only have my front door facing the front of the house, my garage is still to the side. The first thing my building surveyor said was that my garage was my front and I didn't meet setback rules either. I told them not to be so ridiculous and have another look at the house, and they relented. So meeting up with them and discussing is a good idea.

Alternatively, could you look at employing the services of a different building surveyor, one who knows their stuff better?
Related
3/04/2024
Front setback minimum requirement for battleaxe plot

General Discussion

Thanks Draftroom that definitely helps a heap. We are still at the very early stage of planning to see what kind of house would fit on our plot. While we are on a…

3/01/2024
Boundary surveys - rural

General Discussion

Hi Renee, Boundaries in NSW are generally shown on Deposited Plans. When they put boundaries into SIX Maps from these plans, there are various reasons that these often do…

30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum