Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

To match existing weatherboard or juxtapose?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Would love some opinions on our extension. We're adding an 8m extension on our 70's weatherboard cottage (existing 12m frontage) as per the photo. The current cladding is hardwood weatherboard in reasonable condition. The western end, where the extension is going, will be getting stripped as it will be the new internal wall to the new adjoining extension, however after stripping the rear of the building for a previous project, I know I'll lose 20% of the boards at least during the demo making the possibility of reusing them on the front a no go (plus I'd be short more than likely anyway).

So that leaves me with the problem of what do I do with the front of the extension??? The back and new western end I'm not super fussed on since they won't be seen much.

Options (I've come up with so far):

Try and match the existing profile with an FC product - issues being will it still stand out? plus most have that plastic joiner which is quite ugly.
Go a completely different product (and colour???) to juxtapose the weatherboard... but what combo I have no idea!
Find a mill that can do a run of new hardwood boards - issue being cost I imagine!! Plus it's an awkward profile I think.
Strip the front of the existing cottage and reclad the whole lot with whatever product - issue being cost.

Since we're adding 2/3 to the frontage to the property we need to get this right as it'll stand out like the preverbal if we don't.

Any help/opinions would be much appreciated! I have the same issue with the roof colour!
Related
27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum