Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Replacing Solid Door w Sliding

Page 1 of 1
Hello!
I have a solid/half lite door in my laundry with an awning window. Our house is double brick. Is it structurally possible to somehow remove these, cut out the brickwork below the awning window and replace with a glass sliding door?
Figured I'd ask for general advice here before getting the professionals out for quotes and ideas. I've built homes before but never renovated so it's all beyond me! Cheers.
coldestwinter
Is it structurally possible to somehow remove these, cut out the brickwork below the awning window and replace with a glass sliding door?

Anything is possible if you are prepared to pay. If your wall is non-load bearing, then all you would need to support with a lintel are the bricks above the window (lintel probably already exists). If load bearing, then you might need to strengthen the wall a bit.
Related
19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum