Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Patio Post Problem for Flyover Roof

Page 1 of 1
Hi, first time poster on here.

I have a small problem with the proposed locations of the posts on my new flyover patio roof. The designer has sent me a preliminary copy of the drawings showing the posts in the following locations:

As you can see there are posts drawn in on the ridges/hip joints and one in the valley of the existing roof. As I am building this myself I don't think I can actually put the posts in these locations (with the valley post being the obvious one). My thinking is that I should be able to move the posts in/away from the hip/valley locations as the post spacing is 2.687m (Hyne timber span tables show a spacing of up to 4.2m meaning I should in theory be able to have up to 2.1m of overhang?) I would only be increasing the designed overhang of 600mm to somethink like 900mm or 1m at the most.

Also I have investigated the use of Extenda Brackets (http://www.roofextenda.com.au/re-index.php) but they seem to need a top plate of 90mm (mines 70mm).

Does anyone have any examples of how this problem has been overcome? Surely this isn't a unique problem?

Thanks for the help

Julian
Julianflynn
Welcome to the forum
Here are some tips for "getting the most from your post"
1.Most viewers have difficulties understanding 2D Flat (Planar) plans
2. Please add Additional photos they do help
3.If your plans were developed in a 3D BIM Modelling software package,then ask your designer
for the BIM Structural connections details see 5.
4.Try 3D Sketchup yourself It's free and great for visualizing and solving construction problems
5. 3D Sketchup example here Builder & Inspector says this is compliant
Related
13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

8/11/2023
Extending already approved patio

Renovation + Home Improvement

If your patio is going to be 35 sqm then that's going to need Council Approval. The fact that they previously approved your 25sqm patio will be irelevant

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum