Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

New PPOR renovation- where to start who to call?

Page 1 of 1
Hi! We are so excited because we bought our first PPOR!
I am hoping for someone to point me in the right direction..
The priorities we want done are
1) Flooring
2) Converting utility room into a bedroom and relocating laundry elsewhere
3) converting powder room into laundry maybe.

Nice to do is
1) Painting
2) Granite countertop on kitchen to replace the laminate top

Council told me all I need to get 4th bedroom approved is to get a building certifier.
Also the floor is a little more complicated as there is an indoor pond that initially we wanted to keep but have decided to level.
Since there is a lot of little projects, is it a matter of figuring things out and then hiring people / tradesmen individually or would you recommend a builder/ interior designer? Is there something else I am missing?

As a side note- with the pond, given that it is built into the concrete slab, will it just be a matter of removing what's on floor level of the pond and filling in the hole with poured concrete? If so is a concreter the tradie I am looking for?

Thanks!
C
CazMaz Welcome to the forum
Photos ot the pond do help?
Hi! Thanks! I thought no one will reply! this is the pond

Thanks!
Hi Cazmaz
Thanks for the photos
Is the slab located on the Ground Floor or Upper floor?
If it's on the upper floor what's beneath?
Also It would be a good idea to track down the original engineering plans... your council should have a copy hth
It's on the ground floor on a concrete slab. No second storey on this house.
Yes I have building plans..It's a big document though and most of it greek to me!
Would it be a simple matter of knocking down bridge and filling in the pond? Is this something that we should get a structural engineer to look at? I don't want to laugh out of the office, haha, kinda like going to the doctor for a stubbed toe or something.

Thanks!
Caz
Hi CazMan
Ground floor is easy.. you should be able to cut out/off the concrete with a Concrete saw and fill it in.
Definitely a job for Concrete Cutting and Drilling experts..make sure they have a look at your plans beforehand LOL No need for Medicare Engineering..get 3 quotes tho.
Haha! Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice. I wish there were medicare engineers/ architects. Could do with bulk billing or just a small gap.
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

6/07/2023
Renovation on a budget

Renovation + Home Improvement

Coming back to your old stomping grounds, huh? Renovations on a budget can be quite the journey. It's like giving your house a new lease on life. The twist of not knowing…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum