Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Extensions for a steel frame house

Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

Our current home is a double storey, 21yr old steel frame home and while the ground floor layout is perfect for us, we would like to extend the bedrooms on the upper floor and create a landing upstairs in place of the narrow corridor connecting the bedrooms. This would involve moving the external walls on three sides of the house and moving 4 internal walls.

Just had a few questions (please excuse the simplicity of these, we're complete novices when it comes to anything construction related!):
1) Would we need to get in an architect to assess the feasibility of this reno and draw up plans? Or could we go straight to a builder?
2) Do we need a builder with experience in steel framed housing or are the skills required and procedures for an extension pretty standard regardless of building material?
3) Is pushing the external walls out on a steel framed house even possible or are we asking for structural problems down the line?

Thanks in advance!
TCKID
Welcome to the forum
If you wish to put up a rough sketch, budget, data (ie areas) and more specific info
I am happy to help with preliminary Engineering & Construction, this may help answer your question Architect or Builder?
Merry Xmas
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum