Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

can you insulate the exterior of a double brick wall???

Page 1 of 1
We are retaining a double brick, no cavity wall in our renovation. At the moment it is like this on the inside -

The other side is painted. It is a boundary wall & we only have about 45mm to use on the other side. It faces north-east & gets a lot of sun, we also need acoustic insulation.
Is there a way we could insulate the wall on the outside instead of taking up space on the inside? What materials could we use, to be sealed with something like Acratex?
thanks
If it gets a lot of sun on the outside you might not want to insulate it as it provides thermal mass that heats during the day and then dissipates at night. However, if you do want to insulated, there are options.

When you say you only have 45mm, do you mean that is the distance to the boundary? I presume you can access the outside to apply a finish, perhaps with permission from the neighbours, otherwise how would you apply anything in a 45mm space anyway?
We haven’t found the heat dissipates at night with our old double brick walls .... rather it builds up over a few hot days and heats the house up day and night.
Yes, 45mm gap between the wall and the boundary, it’s just a lawn on the other side.
Is there some sort of sheeting that would act as an insulation?
lenarufus
Is there some sort of sheeting that would act as an insulation?

You can attach polystyrene foam to the wall and then render and paint over it. Search the internet for "polystyrene wall cladding". There are many product available, but few are under 50mm thick, although I found one supplied by Foamex that Is 41mm and has an R-value from 1.00 to 1.11 depending on the grade.
lenarufus
We haven’t found the heat dissipates at night with our old double brick walls .... rather it builds up over a few hot days and heats the house up day and night.

Yes, that's how thermal mass works. It’s suppose to be shaded in summer and exposed in winter, and that's how it works to your benefit. It’s an element of solar passive design.
Thanks, I’ll investigate those materials
The thermal mass thing doesn’t really work here, as there is no northern sun coming in and hitting floors ... just the east and west sun hitting the walls which retain the heat for weeks in summer.. this would be ok if it worked in winter, but doesnt seem to, freezing house in winter!
lenarufus
Thanks, I’ll investigate those materials
The thermal mass thing doesn’t really work here, as there is no northern sun coming in and hitting floors ... just the east and west sun hitting the walls which retain the heat for weeks in summer.. this would be ok if it worked in winter, but doesnt seem to, freezing house in winter!

So that wall isn’t heated in winter?
No the sun is too low in winter to heat up the east wall .. and in the afternoon it is low on the west wall and trees shield the wall then.
The difficulties of living in the city with surrounding buildings - pity. Seems insulating would be best all round then. Best of luck with it.
Related
7/04/2024
Cathedral Ceiling, exposed beams. Insulate Kingspan plaster?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Our 6m high Cathedral ceiling has 0 insulation, just plaster, wrap and tiles as far as I can tell. Wife likes the exposed beams, I hate the $600 per month heating bill,…

31/01/2024
Assistance with Exterior Roof and Brick Colours

Building A New House

Hi all, I am currently building through Simmonds and stuck deciding on my exterior cement roof titles and brick colours. The front and fascade of the house is a pretty…

15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum