Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Render, half render or no render

Page 1 of 1
Hello

I am renovating a 3 bedroom unit which is one of two on the block.

The facade is of some rather tasteless brick, and I am going to do substainial renovation inside the place.

I have been advised that it would be good to render it however I wasn't sure if this was a smart idea given the unit in front will not be rendered and thought it may look a bit 'bitsy'

I was wanted to get some ideas as I potentially thought another alternative would be to render part of it in a shale grey down the bottom half of the property

Be good to get thoughts and suggestions

Image attached
The brick it not ugly, but somewhat dated. Rendering can look good, but it is messy and will require all the close in vegetation to be removed - not a big deal if you were going to update the garden too. If you do render, I would suggest doing the whole wall, and as for the neighbouring house, see if you can negotiate a deal to have both done. The last question will be whether to use an oxide or paint in the render, and if paint, then an alternative is just to paint the bricks.
Thanks. I'm not stressed about the vegetation as that would go anyway

The question is would you do half of the house or all of it?
Sorry, I thought you meant half render, half brick. I would do the whole house.
Cool. So render the entire house not either a feature wall or the bottom half of house and leaving the brick?
Yes, but that’s just one opinion.
When I first read your post I thought you must be talking about those awful 1970's orange bricks that seem to have been all the rage back then. I don't actually think the brick on the unit is that bad. Without knowing what else you are planning, my biggest issue with that facade is the design of, and awful color of, the garage (door)!

If it was me I would consider painting or replacing the garage door in something more modern - either lighter (ie Colorbond Dune) or much darker (Ie Colorbond Monument) and than painting the windows trims etc to match. They will then all match and contrast nicely with the brick.

Render would put me off to be honest. You generally have to maintain it, or it can look stained etc after awhile.
Just a thought and only my opinion though.
Was also thinking monument was a good colour too. Sounds good regarding the brick colour too
I think the brick looks ok and money could be better spent out the front. I agree with painting the garage, windows and gutters in momument or a real dark charcoal grey. New garden and the place will look a million bucks
If re spraying the roof tiles was in the budget i think that would also have a big impact
What colour would you do the tiles on the roof
Definitely black. Its just looking a bit faded at the moment
Sarah159
Definitely black. Its just looking a bit faded at the moment

Just remember that black absorbs light, and thus heat, while white reflects. If you go black, you'll be fighting extra heat in the roof cavity.
Yeah if that garage four was a different colour the bricks would look great!

Agree that the bricks look fine, rather paint the other stuff (including garage door)

Bricks are also close to zero maintenance, render ends up looking tired and stained after a few years
Seen similar unit blocks where one has rendered and the other units are left original. It makes the rendered unit look more modern. In this case I don't mind the bricks. Changing the garage door, windows (remove those ugly 70's shades), paint gutters/fascia and maybe a better driveway and a more modern garden would really transform the place.
yeh i think those bricks should be left,
1.gutters painted with gloss acrylic to a herritage colour, possibly brunswick green,
2. the roof cleaned, anti moulded and membraned to a mid grey,
3. window frames glossed same colour as gutters
4. front entrance stairs demolished and replaced with a small deck, oiled annually
5. garage door to either be replaced with timberlook or have windows cut into it then painted to the same grey as the roof.
6. modern lightfittings at front door and either side of garage door.
Related
8/05/2023
Acrylic render: Dulux or ROCKCOTE

General Discussion

Hi Alex, Thanks for the reply again. I had a chat with the builder, he said he will use primer, then hydrotec which comes with colour and sealer as well. A Renderer I…

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

4/10/2023
Mending cracks in render

General Discussion

Do you have a scope of works? If have texture on wall now, the patch will show through The standard for repair of texture is to patch, re-texture corner to corner,…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum