Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Adding a bedroom above garage

Page 1 of 1
Hello, we need a fifth bedroom and we would like to utilise empty space above the garage to do this (we have a double story house).

Has anyone done this? How much an extension like this cost? What are the challenges/things to consider?

Thanks!
Gtaf345 Do you want a lost/attic within the roof space
More info or a photo is required
Hi it won't be an attic (no space for it). We need to take down garage roof and add a bedroom on top. I inagibe we need to reinforce the structure etc.
Gtaf345
You might want to put photos or sketches up
as more info is required
Hi, I uploaded the house plans
https://imgur.com/a/yAKz1

Currently nothing above the garage. It's a standard project home

Thanks!!
Gtaf345
Thanks for the Floor plans
It appears to be a simple extension
Do you have the original engineering drawings, if not you should be able to get a copy from your Council Building Department
You will need to check your Garage Footings, Roof structure and floor joist
I suggest you get the Drawings & Engineering sorted yourself and get 3 builders quotes
It shouldnt be too pricey Budget around $20-25k
@StructuralBIMGuy

Thanks so much for the estimate - it really helps to see if this is in the vicinity of being affordable. I wasn't sure before if this was under $50k project or more like around $100k.
Thanks again!
Gtaf345 You're welcome, that was a quick e$timate, if you want it more accurate?
Then have your reno 3D designed Modelled, 'Engineered and Data Quantified.
Knockdown and rebuild upgrade costs
The 3D Is great for visualizing, the data plugs into apps & google sheets, the costs estimates are accurate.
In a nutshell builders & Contractors HATE IT...Clients, Battlers & Punters LOVE IT
Please make your informed decisions based on Data & Proofs..goodluck
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

14/06/2023
Brick movement above damp proof course

General Discussion

Have look at your house plans and you will probably find that brick articulation joint has been missed. Maximum allowable spacing is 6M or 5.5M for a wall with window…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum