Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Bedroom sizes

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, We live in a 1960s brick three bedroom house in Brisbane, not too small for us and nothing like a big modern house. We're looking at turning our master bedroom (4m x 4m) and bedroom next door (3m x 3m) into three bedrooms, and using another larger bedroom in the house (4m x 3m) as our master. We're perfectly ok with the master size, but worried about the sizes of the other three rooms. We've got two young boys sharing a room now, but want to create a bedroom for each of them when they're teenagers, plus a study/4th small bedroom for our home office and come resale time down the track.

These are the sizes we're looking at for the three smaller rooms:

Bedroom 2: 2.93m x 2.46m
Bedroom 3: 2.93m x 2.42m
Study/Bedroom 4: 3.93m x 2.02m (long and narrow)

Does anyone have bedrooms similar to these sizes that work ok? And do you think that If you were looking to buy an older house in an entry level suburb, people would prefer four smaller bedrooms to three big bedrooms?

Thanks!
We currently have two bedrooms of similar size to your proposed beds 2 and 3, and quite frankly, the sizes of those bedrooms is one of the reasons that we're building a new house. It's working okay at the moment while their occupants are 6 and 9, but already we're feeling the limits and I really don't think that it's going to work when they become teenagers. A king single bed, a tallboy and a narrow bookcase in each and they're basically full, and feeling very "cosy". There's not much space for younger kids to play, and when they get bigger then it's not going to be any more than a sleeping pod for them. And forget about fitting a desk in there as well. Of course, all this might actually work for you, but for us it's a disadvantage.

After much discussion and debate, several chats with architects and building designers, a lot of online research and visits to many display homes (and 'for sale' open homes), we've agreed that a good secondary bedroom size for us is 3.0 x 3.2 m (excluding any built-in robes). This provides just enough space for a single bed and a desk, or a double bed; it's also large enough that it can still be a comfortable place to "get away" when needed, while still being small enough to subliminally gently "push" people out to the main living areas. Larger bedrooms will encourage people to stay in them more, while smaller bedrooms push people out. 2.9 x 2.4 will provide a fair bit of "push" - which may work with you, but when they're teenagers you might not want that level of push!

For myself (we spent a year looking to buy before we gave up and made the decision to build instead) we'd go with the three bigger bedrooms. More bedrooms is generally "better", but there's a tradeoff with size, and below a certain point they're not really usable as bedrooms (as a buyer, I'd probably not consider your 3.93 x 2.02 a practical bedroom).
Thanks so much algernon, that is incredibly helpful! I really really appreciate your feedback! We might keep the three big bedrooms and look at building in our front porch instead for that extra fourth room...
Related
31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum