Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Removing brick internal walls - Californian bungalow Sydney

Page 1 of 1
I am looking to remove a number of brick internal walls to open out a living area. The house is a 1920s double brick Californian bungalow in Sydney with sandstone footings and timber floorboards. There is about 1-1.5m of under floor space.

All of the walls I am removing are internal - about 13m of brick wall in total (5 wall sections).

I will get a structural engineer to check etc, but just want to know what I am in for in terms of cost and the amount of work likely involved.

Thank you in advance.
You need to get the engineers report first and also draw up a sketch of the floorplan both existing and proposed before anyone here would be able to give you an idea. A lot of it will depend on how many of the walls are load bearing ie struts from the roof being supported on those walls. That will mean some work up the the ceiling space installing beams to take those loads.
So really anyone here without that info would be flying blind.

Stewie
As you are proposing structural alterations you will also need a buildiing permit.
OK - thanks. I know I need a DA and engineering support. I was more after a ballpark around what's involved (worst case) in terms of removing the walls and supporting the roof, including beams etc.
It's hard to say a ball park cost without seeing a rough plan or photos, feel free to upload some.

https://youtu.be/_DlwtgzXVQw

Kind Regards

James Mason - Our Build.

www.renovationjunkies.com.au

www.ourbuildhandyman.com.au
Related
15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

24/05/2023
Removing gyprock from besser block wall

Kitchen Splashbacks

Thanks again, appreciate the advice

28/07/2023
Removing items from contract

Building A New House

The best advice is for you to get a competent building consultant to guide you through your build

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum