Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Strengthen a deck

Page 1 of 1
This is a different deck to my other deck question.
I have an existing deck. The joists are simply 2 pieces of pine glued onto of each other spanning 3 meters. It is wobbly to walk on (and I don't know how it was ever approved).

To strengthen should I attached strapping underneath (cross diagonal) and see how that goes?

Or.

I could attach a small piece of hardwood the length through the middle (1.5 meters), and then get a large paver (x2), and then install an adjustable post (screw top) (x2). There is no way to dig a hole underneath without pulling up the deck. The problem is the paver could just sink and become useless until I get under and screw it up again each 6 months.

Thoughts?
Hi. 3 meters is excessive and I am guessing that they used 90x45 pine? Generally you would want to keep it at 2m max or 1.5m which would be better.

Some options, you could screw into the existing joist a hardwood joist that will make it rigid. You would only need to use batten screws every 30-60cm.

The other option is as you described, propping up the middle point and resting the base on a large paver. If it is large enough then this shouldn't sink that much but of course it depends on your soil. You would want to get a car jack under there to increase the height by 30-50mm to allow for settling.
Related
8/06/2023
Does my deck need handrails?

General Discussion

I've just built 3 stairs off a landing out the back and been told by the private certifier I need hand rails sorry tried to attach a pic but couldn't mine don't have sides…

6/07/2023
Holman deck lights

Lighting + Lighting Design

So I'm just reading up on this ecosystem of lights. I'm planning on putting deck lights along the outside edge of a large deck. Will need about 3 packs (18 lights) plus…

24/07/2023
EPDM Deck liners or trex rain escape

General Discussion

Hi, does anyone have any experience with using Trex rain escape or EPDM rubber to waterproof a deck so you have dry space underneath. Popular in the US and realize that…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum