Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Kitchen island - Where to start

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some advice on my kitchen renovation. The kitchen island is a bit forward and makes the living area looks small. Do you think it is possible to move the island towards the dishwasher side and have them in line? How are the islands attached to the floor ? Is this something like a DIY ? If you have anymore suggestions or ideas regarding this, please feel free. I am planning to change the counter top, backsplash and cabinet color too at some point. Never done this before, so a bit confused.

Thank you

Link to image -
http://postimg.org/image/3xsmpkdt3/
You don't have any gas, water or plumbing running to the bench so that's a good thing. Do you have a power point installed anywhere on the bench? If you do it would mean there is a hole somewhere in the floor for the power cable.

Also, do you know whether the bench is sitting on top of the tiles or has it been tiled around? That's another thing to consider.

Whether it can actually be moved or not, without having to redo the floors is another issue.
changing the counter tops, splashback and cabinet colours/panels is is a big job. You may find it costs almost as much as a new kitchen.
Got a photo?? There are a few different ways island are installed. Shouldn't be to hard though
Hi baxter01,
Check with a carpenter / cabinet maker if you can move the island bench, looks like you could but depends how 'moveable' the cabinetry might be.

Did you have an idea on overall budget? If going for as little as possible, maybe painting the cabinets, re-tiling and maybe (spray) paint bench tops for a 'resfreshed' look. Maybe updating the sink too.

But if it was my own personal kitchen I'd look at redesigning a new one. Seems like a large space for kitchen but not much storage. The cupboard doors to the left is this the pantry? Or a linen press?
Not much bench space by the time you put a microwave, toaster, kettle and other appliances out. We are just finishing up our kitchen design and spent 10k for Ikea (including oven, hot plate, range hood) but that's also my husband installing and tiling.
If you need help with a layout just pm me.
Good luck

Melinda
Hi Baxter01,

If you're looking for kitchen design ideas ideas check out http://www.homeone.com.au/articles/bathroom/101_kitchen_amp_bathroom_design_ideas_free

Good luck! Richard@themakeovergroup
Related
7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

13/06/2023
Kitchen floors

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Awesome, I can do that. Thanks mate.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum