Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Retrospective Certification Costs

Page 1 of 1
I've just found out that the attic conversion in my terrace did not have a completion certificate and Council have no record of any certification from during the build. In was built in the 1990's. Council have asked me to get a framing certificate, a fire rating certificate for the fire walls adjoining neighbours properties and a sound rating certificate for the firewalls so they can give me an occupation certificate for the attic conversion.

Can anybody give me an idea of what each certificate would cost?
I ask, it's been there for over 20 years, does it really matter or is it essential to get one now?
In a previous post his neighbour complained to the council about his illegal attic and now they have to take it to the next step.

Stewie
Stewie D
In a previous post his neighbour complained to the council about his illegal attic and now they have to take it to the next step.

Stewie

Spot on. I am making slow but steady progress.

The lesson here is that if anybody is looking at renovating do everything properly with certification or if you are buying a renovated property ask for Council certification. I bought out a half-owner in the 90s and assumed everything was above board, which of course, it wasn't.

The reason I am querying the certification costs is that I had to get two Alternative Solution Reports a few months ago. The cost ranged from $400 to $2000 each from different PCAs. I did not go for the cheaper ones after talking to them but I got a very good PCA who was value for money, that is, not at the high end of the price scale.

Not having been through the next stage of fire, framing and sound certification I am keen to know what is a sensible price to pay for these certifications?
Related
29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum