Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Weatherboard Build & Renovation - Completed Bathroom Photos

Page 2 of 5
adele9
me429sb
Love the tiles. Maybe you could use the tiles as a feature mat in the middle of the floor and have plain tiles around the outside? That way you could reduce the cost and wouldn't have to cut into the pattern to lay them. I've seen this done on pinterest and it looks really effective.

Ill have to look into this - thankyou! The quote was $325 a square meter (just to supply!) so that is definitely out of my price range. Can anybody suggest some suppliers I can look at? I am after some type of patterned floor tile (preferably light colours).

Our custom mantle piece has arrived! I can't wait to paint it - it will be gloss white to match the wall paneling. We have ordered a piece of granite for the hearth.

Hi Adele, have you looked at Southern Cross Ceramics https://www.scceramics.com/ArtisanDefault.html they have some lovely patterened tiles. I'm using some in my build (splashback). Not quite as expensive but still on the high side.

mellianne5
adele9
me429sb
Love the tiles. Maybe you could use the tiles as a feature mat in the middle of the floor and have plain tiles around the outside? That way you could reduce the cost and wouldn't have to cut into the pattern to lay them. I've seen this done on pinterest and it looks really effective.

Ill have to look into this - thankyou! The quote was $325 a square meter (just to supply!) so that is definitely out of my price range. Can anybody suggest some suppliers I can look at? I am after some type of patterned floor tile (preferably light colours).

Our custom mantle piece has arrived! I can't wait to paint it - it will be gloss white to match the wall paneling. We have ordered a piece of granite for the hearth.

Hi Adele, have you looked at Southern Cross Ceramics https://www.scceramics.com/ArtisanDefault.html they have some lovely patterened tiles. I'm using some in my build (splashback). Not quite as expensive but still on the high side.

Thanks heaps for that
I really loved these ones but S wasn't convinced

We have been to our local tile shops so many times they must be getting sick of us! Every time I walk out happy and satisfied with my choices, only to have a change of heart overnight! I don't know why but choosing tiles seems to be the most difficult part of this whole renovation. There is a light 600x600 ceramic tile with a faint marble through it that I seem to be going back to, so now I'm thinking about just doing this on the floor and the walls. But I'm also worried it could be boring.

Our bathroom and ensuite are both small, and they are going to have solid ironbark benchtops as a bit of a 'feature' so I think it could work. As a general rule (for this style of house especially) I'm not a huge fan of feature strips, feature niches or anything of that variety.

I'm happy with our kitchen splashback tile, wouldn't be my first choice but S loves it and I'm happy just to have ONE tile locked in!

I didn't get a photo of the white ones in the shop, but here is close up of them in another colour which shows the texture

But they are white and will be laid herringbone, which will look like this:

Finally found some before photos - these are from the real estate listing. Not much happening at the house this week as S is back at his 'real' job. We spent the weekend stripping the original timber windows at the front of the house (which were painted shut - see below on either side of the heater) and replacing the glass. Hoping for the kitchen & vanities to be installed next week

KITCHEN (through the doorway on the right was an joint pantry/laundry)

BATHROOM

LIVING

MASTER BEDROOM

BACKYARD & SHED

Choosing paint colours! I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted: white wall paneling, skirts, archs , doors and roof, and light 'grey-bluey-greeny' walls. The painter gave us a Dulux colour wheel a while ago which has come in handy because the colours seem to look NOTHING like they did on the computer.

At this stage there will be one colour for the bedrooms, and another colour for the living/dining/kitchen/hallway etc. Bathrooms are tiled to ceiling so I don't need to worry about those colours.

I'm thinking Dulux Spanish Olive for the bedrooms, I absolutely love this colour. I was originally thinking 1/2 strength but it came up a bit lighter than I expected:

I tried Dulux Accord for the living/dining/hallways. I'm not in love with it, so I will have to sample a few more pots. It's a little too dark and a little too 'blah' for me. It looked like it has a nice blue base but on the wall it was quite a flat grey - and I like my grey with a bit of oomph!
If you have any colour suggestions please let me know.

Posting to follow, loving the tile choices!
It hasn't been a good week for us!

- S was replacing the glass in the two front windows (either side of the fireplace) and cracked the glass.
- We can't find anything suitable to use as a dado rail above our wall paneling.
- Kitchen install has been delayed by a week.

- Worst of all, went to order our tiles yesterday only to be told our beautiful wall tiles have been DISCONTINUED! This was after the local tile shop let us take home a 600x600 sample of our floor and wall tile to have in the bathrooms over the weekend. They said they can source 37 squares for us, which will still leave us 8 squares short. Feeling really disheartened at the moment, as there is nothing similar that I can find around. Our floor tiles were chosen based on them too, so we really are back to square one.

I'm wondering what my chances are of finding the extra 8 squares from another supplier.
Oh that is disappointing about your tiles - I would do a bit of a ring around and see if you can find some through other retailers maybe?

I really like the Spanish Olive colour too. I hope you have some better luck going forward!
Yay the kitchen has started to be installed
Stone will be arriving next week. Here's some photos, and a few other random photos from the house.

It all looks really great - you must have had great 'vision' when buying this house, I would have struggled to work out how it could be extended/updated. Love the flooring (timber?).
TashPaul
It all looks really great - you must have had great 'vision' when buying this house, I would have struggled to work out how it could be extended/updated. Love the flooring (timber?).

Thankyou
To be totally honest we virtually gutted the house and started fresh, so it was almost a blank canvas. In terms of choices, we have just winged it as we've gone along. Doing it ourselves means we've been able to change our mind as many times as we like, as nothing has been locked in. The downside of that is that you never have to stick with a decision - I must have been into the tile shop about 12 times!

The floor is Tasmanian Oak - yet to be sanded and polished!
Your house is looking amazing and I see you are putting in a mantle like the one we built on the weekend. Here is ours.

Still need to build the actual mantle ledge yet.

Not sure what to fill in the gap above the fireplace with though. Any ideas?
Bella
Your house is looking amazing and I see you are putting in a mantle like the one we built on the weekend. Here is ours.

Still need to build the actual mantle ledge yet.

Not sure what to fill in the gap above the fireplace with though. Any ideas?

I think we are just tiling ours with small black square tiles
Not 100% sure though, will keep you updated!
UPDATED KITCHEN PICS
The Alpine Mist was a more vein-y than I thought, but I still absolutely love it.

Posting to follow after I saw your kitchen pics and loved them!
Love that you are going with "modern trad" . All your choices so far are gorgeous.
Re paint colours, I've been searching for the right balance between blue/green as well. If you want to go lighter, look at white box (slightly turquoisey) and meadow lane (slightly greener). It's really hard trying to find that sort of duck egg colour. I've also got a sample pot of Taubmans moss blue, it's supposed to be the most balanced btw green and blue, to me it's more blueish but it changes with the light. I wish we could get Fired Earth paints in Australia. They have the most lovely colour called Ultramarine Ashes which is the closest I've seen to what I want...
loooooooving the kitchen! Gorgeous
Wow what a mammoth job! Good on you guys for doing it on your own. I can sympathise with you over the tiles. We were all set and sold on a 600x 600 an then it come in at an extra 5k which put an end to that. I like your splash back tile
you have great taste! Are you guys living onsite while building?
Love your benchtop!! You have made some great progress!

We put the new front door in this weekend! As you can see from the before pic, there were 5 sidelights down each side which we have kept & replaced the glass with clear glass. It was a struggle trying to find a door with 10 panels (most of them were
, but managed to find one at Bunnings. It took weeks for Bunnings to get it in stock, which I found odd. It didn't line up exactly with the existing sidelights, but clever S managed to fix this somehow. It will be painted white on both sides. I just love it!

In other news, painters have been here the last 2 days. Just prep work so far so nothing exciting to report. We have decided on Spanish Olive everywhere, except white (Lexicon Dulux) in the laundry & powder room.

Treeseachanger
Posting to follow after I saw your kitchen pics and loved them!
Love that you are going with "modern trad" . All your choices so far are gorgeous.
Re paint colours, I've been searching for the right balance between blue/green as well. If you want to go lighter, look at white box (slightly turquoisey) and meadow lane (slightly greener). It's really hard trying to find that sort of duck egg colour. I've also got a sample pot of Taubmans moss blue, it's supposed to be the most balanced btw green and blue, to me it's more blueish but it changes with the light. I wish we could get Fired Earth paints in Australia. They have the most lovely colour called Ultramarine Ashes which is the closest I've seen to what I want...

Oh I just love the 'Ultramarine Ashes'! That is exactly what I had in mind. After much deliberation I've decided on Dulux Spanish Olive. Fingers crossed it looks okay.

Coastalbreeze1
Wow what a mammoth job! Good on you guys for doing it on your own. I can sympathise with you over the tiles. We were all set and sold on a 600x 600 an then it come in at an extra 5k which put an end to that. I like your splash back tile
you have great taste! Are you guys living onsite while building?

Thanks! We were living onsite for the first 10 months (which was mostly restumping, demolition, building the extension, reflooring, and weatherboards). It then got the point where it was totally unlivable. Luckily around that time my Mum took a job in another town and moved, leaving her house empty. So we have been living there since then
Gee whiz, I bet all of the mess started to get to you. That was good it worked out well with moving into your mums place. How much more do you have to go?
Related
27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

1/04/2024
Unsigned variations after a new home is completed

Building A New House

Any advice on a builder in NSW who is demanding an extra 22000k after the house is completed and contract paid in full .Standard HIA contract. Never received a variation.…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum