Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

matching to old corrugated roofing

Page 1 of 1
I am looking to extend an old corrugated roof (mid-80’s) but am having trouble finding a product that matches the profile of my existing roof. I can see no manufactures mark on the roof to give me a clue as to supplier and don’t want to lift the roof on the off chance that their may be a manufactures mark on the underside. The new sheets need to match the existing, as they will meet end to end. I have looked at a couple of sources but the sheets I have seen are wider. So although they would match at one side they gradually move out of phase, creating a larger and larger gap. The exiting sheets are 840 cm wide. Any suggestions?
http://www.robotbuildingsupplies.com.au ... ed-colour/
It wouldn't take much to remove the screws down one side of the sheets and lift the edge up to have a peek underneath to see if as you say there is a manufacturers stamp.
When you say they are going to meet end for end do you mean they are going to meet at a ridge or are you going to lap the new ones over the old ones ? If it is the former then the ridge cap would cover that.

Stewie
From what I've come across, sheets from the mid 80's should still match the profile of the newer ones.

The older sheets were typically narrower, but the profile still matches. you should get an offcut of the new sheeting and see how it sits over the existing. Don't get too bothered if sheet width is different, just as long as the profile matches.

Although seeing as you have said the sheet measures approx 840, are you sure this isn't a modern sheet size?
Don't let manufacturer specs confuse you by calling a sheet 762mm cover.
They state 762mm as this is how wide it covers once it is lapped under the next sheet. The actual sheet size is about 840-850mm from memory. The older sheets were much narrower than this and were also lapped differently.

I would be keen to hear what you find as I would have thought mid 80's was the current profile, but that might vary between states
It's very likely the only thing you may see underneath is a BHP Colorbond stamp with a coil number.
BHP may have manufactured the coil but who rolled the actual roof sheet? This will be your challenge. Are they still around? Is the same roofing mill still in action?
33amc is spot on that your corro width of 840 is standard, but the profiles is critical.
Are you roofing it yourself? If you're using a professional roofer, get them a sample and they can run around to Stratco, Stramit, Lysaght, etc (big roofing manufacturers) and try to match it up.
Good luck!
Mate, your roof seems too old and it may have got premature aging problems. It is time to replace it! It will save your money and time.
Related
7/05/2023
Rendering old corrugated shed

General Discussion

Is it possible to render an old corrugated iron shed.I have heard that it can be done if it is covered with chicken wire first.Not sure of the ratio of the render mix and…

19/04/2024
Attaching roofing to brick

General Discussion

I plan on installing an undercover walkway (awning ??) from my carport to the back door as shown in sketch. I will be using Boxspan Beams and have no concerns regarding…

1/06/2023
Restoring old sliding windos

Windows & Doors

Thanks Chippy,I do have one that I levered out. I'll try to find a brand name on the windows then do some searching. Here is a photo where you can see how worn they are.

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum