Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Help with building a fence

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

i am a learner DIY on my own property. Just wondering what others would do here.

I am errecting a colonial picket fence (wooden fence pickets with 'spike' at the top). There are 5 posts in a line. The middle post is 100mm shorter than all the others. All the others are around 1100mm out of the ground, and the short one is around 1000mm.

What would you do? Cut all the posts short (they will need to be cut to 1000 high, and the fence pickets are 1200 long)? If i do this then the fence pickets will stand much taller than the post?

also - if i cut the posts short, how would i mount the beams? I have recessed in the bottom ones into the posts so they sit flush, so need some advise on what to do with the top beam? Not sure if anyone can help? or should i send some more information through?
(posts are around 2200 apart)

thanks
If I was you I would dig out short post and fit it back at the right height or replace post altogether.
the horizontal rails will be notched into the posts at 300mm and 900mm or thereabouts so it doesnt matter as the missing length is above that height. So if replacing the post is too much for you, just add another 100 mm piece on top after the fence is built and nail/screw it on.
Related
3/10/2023
Building fence before the house

Building A New House

Building a fence now will help limit people dumping rubbish and soil on your property. Many houses in suburbia on small lots have fences up before a build. I moved into a…

22/05/2023
How to brace a colourbond fence that wobbles

Outdoor Living

Yes i guess this is one of the main reason as i checked one post foundation

13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum