Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Steel Frame Transportable - Internal wall removal

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I need some advice from anyone with steel-frame experience.
I have just purchased a house and I would like to modify the floor plan, this will involve removing three internal walls to open up a Kitchen/Dine/Living area.

I have completed a couple of similar renovations with solid walled houses but never worked with lightweight steel frames before.

My question are -

Do steel frame transportable homes have internal load bearing walls or do the external walls take the weight?

If the walls are removed (in images below) will there be any need for further re-enforcement to the roof trusses? Will I need to consult a structural engineer?

http://s807.photobucket.com/user/troyky ... sort=3&o=2

http://s807.photobucket.com/user/troyky ... sort=3&o=0

http://s807.photobucket.com/user/troyky ... sort=3&o=1

Any help/advise would be great

Thanks
The Section drawing shows a truss type roof. This roof is typically only supported on the external walls, in fact there must be a vertical clearance between the top of the internal walls and the bottom of the trusses.

As you plan to remove the cross wall between bed 4 & kitchen, the new bed 4 wall should be braced and securely fixed to the outside wall to provide lateral restraint to the external wall.

If the roof is a gable roof, you will need to get someone to check if additional bottom chord restraints are required.
Thankyou Beetaloo for your reply.

Would either of these two options help with the lateral strength of the external wall?

installing a 600mm deep nib (full height) wall in place of the bed 4/kitchen wall?

Installing a 900mm wall that the kitchen backs onto in place of the bed 4/kitchen wall?

Thanks

Troy
If tensioned strap bracing is used (which are easy to install and don't affect the overall thickness of the wall), the wall needs to be at least 2m long or longer as the straps need to be at about 45degrees.

For short walls, plywood bracing is required which can increase the overall thickness of the internal walls which may in turn cause detailing issues for you to solve unless the plywood extends the full length of the wall.
Use the IMG code under the "Share Links" side heading so we don't have to go to a third party site.

Stewie
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

19/05/2023
Clunking noises Steel frame

General Discussion

Hi, I have a steel frame house which was built 2 years ago. When you are down stairs you can hear clunking noises when someone is walking around. We were told if you…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum