Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Approximate renovation costs

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We just bought a house in Leichhardt NSW and are thinking of commencing project renovate.

I have a few questions and need you help answering these:
What would be the approximate costs in doing this reno?
Do I need a DA given most of the work is indoor - except one wall but would the existing laundry have a DA that would allow this extension?
Do you recommend a builder who can do this - builder's gotta be honest and diligent.

I know I will definitely need a DA for garage modifications but that can wait if I can get other work done without a DA.
Appreciate your help.

Reg,
Vik
Quote:

The reasons for qebtels mirth x 12 is that yes, you most definitely need a DA. If a ranger or council inspector strolls past your place while this reno work is being undertaken, they can whack a cease and desist order on you while they make you submit a DA which could hold you up for months at the very least plus a decent fine.
At the least you need a structural engineer to assess if what you are proposing can be done without major structural work which can be expensive to start with. From what I can see about a third of your walls look like they would be load bearing so to remove or add new ones needs their advice.
Costs ? How long is a piece of string? But I'd say start at $60,000 as a minimum and work your way up. You are after all looking at adjusting the three most expensive rooms in a house - kitchen, bathroom and laundry - and that depends on the structural work and whether you are starting from scratch with those rooms etc.

Stewie
Leichhardt council is one of the slowest from memory for DA approval - you could look to see if you can get a private certifier and do it CDC. If you work with a local draftsperson, they should hopefully be able to refer you to one and clarify what you can do structurally. Take their estimates on costs with a grain of salt - my personal experience is that often greatly underestimate it. Alternatively some builders will also be able to arrange drawings and CDC for you but they can be inclined to steer you into doing things that are easier and cheaper but it can lead to a result that is not really in line with what you were expecting.

I did a similar reno in Dulwich Hill in 2007 - if you are thinking of completely redoing the kitchen, bathroom and laundry as part of that reno, I'd say you'd be lucky to spend less than $80k. Also from the site plan it looks like you are a semi (same as us) make sure you have the neighbours on side both for noise and any changes you may need to make to the party wall - like installing supporting beams in it. Also as with a lot of old semi's you might find that once you start taking things apart more work comes to the surface and things like your downpipes empty to the sewer etc which can be picked up and may need to be resolved.

Lastly its not easy - I've done a few renos and recently a new build and the new build is so much easier, cheaper and faster but don't let anyone talk you out of what you want, it will be worth it in the end.

Best of luck
Stewie D
The reasons for qebtels mirth x 12 is that yes, you most definitely need a DA.

Err no, the reason was its another one question where someone asks for a $ figure which no one could possibly give based on the flimsy details given.

And since when do you need a DA for a reno? You need a building permit - different thing. I wouldnt have though altering the frame is "development".

Development is classed as reconfiguring land , physically or logically, or additional new building, in which case you are asking to have the work assessed against a planning scheme (local or state). Internal renovation has nothing to do with planning schemes.
In most suburban councils in Sydney you would need a DA. Anything that affects neighbouring properties - he is removing a small wall from the back of the laundry and proposing a new wall at the back on the southern side - both external and by definition in most council LEP or DCPs it may affect the neighbours. Privacy , overlooking, shadows etc. Floor space ratios and hard surface to soft area ratios would be affected as well. The roof to go over this area most certainly would in this regard. They would need to provide a shadow diagram as well as part of the documents for a DA. At least in my neck of the woods they would have to anyway.

Stewie
Awesome replies. Thanks. Do you recommend going with an all in one project management company or start wih an architect? Getting a DA is the right step forward and I understand that estimating the costs is the most challenging part if he puzzle. My maximum estimate is at 100k as of now. But you never know until u start digging or breaking or building.
robbie55
Leichhardt council is one of the slowest from memory for DA approval - you could look to see if you can get a private certifier and do it CDC. If you work with a local draftsperson, they should hopefully be able to refer you to one and clarify what you can do structurally. Take their estimates on costs with a grain of salt - my personal experience is that often greatly underestimate it. Alternatively some builders will also be able to arrange drawings and CDC for you but they can be inclined to steer you into doing things that are easier and cheaper but it can lead to a result that is not really in line with what you were expecting.

I did a similar reno in Dulwich Hill in 2007 - if you are thinking of completely redoing the kitchen, bathroom and laundry as part of that reno, I'd say you'd be lucky to spend less than $80k. Also from the site plan it looks like you are a semi (same as us) make sure you have the neighbours on side both for noise and any changes you may need to make to the party wall - like installing supporting beams in it. Also as with a lot of old semi's you might find that once you start taking things apart more work comes to the surface and things like your downpipes empty to the sewer etc which can be picked up and may need to be resolved.

Lastly its not easy - I've done a few renos and recently a new build and the new build is so much easier, cheaper and faster but don't let anyone talk you out of what you want, it will be worth it in the end.

Best of luck

Hey Robbie.

Do you recommend anyone given your awesome experience in renovating? Eg. An architect or a builder?

How was your experience while renovating the Dulwich Hill house? I mean in regards to the vendors you hired?
You need a competent builder designer or draftsman - someone who is familiar with Leichardt council and their LEP and DCP. You could get an architect but apart from costing a lot more and looking at what is a pretty basic reno, I don't think you need to spend the extra money. Ask to keep copyright of the plans. They should be able to give you a ballpark figure on how much it would cost. Submit the plans for the DA then hawk the plans around to builders.

Stewie
Stewie do you recommend any draftsman or builders?
Most of either ( myself included ) that I know won't travel over the bridge.
There is this thread here however viewtopic.php?f=53&t=56879.
Send a PM to some of the posters there and they may have some recommendations for you.

Stewie
Related
29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

6/07/2023
Renovation on a budget

Renovation + Home Improvement

Coming back to your old stomping grounds, huh? Renovations on a budget can be quite the journey. It's like giving your house a new lease on life. The twist of not knowing…

9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum