Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Renovating first Apartment - help please

Page 1 of 1
The apartment is in a great location (Perth) but is in original condition (50 yrs old). Putrid at present but I live there (28 yr old guy) but it needs a lot of work. Girls say 'rip EVERYTHING out' and guys say rip a lot out ha ha.

My main Questions Please:

The unit is 43 metres squared. The building is 1960s and is expected to last another 10 to 20 years. The apartment is on the top floor of a 3 storey building (15 units in total) and is the corner unit at the South East end. My plans for the apartment are to live in it and then either rent or sell it later to a professional (guy as girls are more picky he he) or a couple (girl may be picky so need solid kitchen and bathroom).

Questions:
------------------

*If you could give a MASSIVELY rough estimate on prices for each option below both do it yourself price and professional price that would be great as I have no idea.

1) Why do girls generally care about how an apartment looks more than guys especially bathrooms and kitchens?

2) Tiles or wooden floor for?
 Kitchen
 Loungeroom
 Bedroom

3) Painted bricks or rendered walls?

4) Washing machine in apartment?
 In Kitchen?
 In Bathroom?

5) Bath in small apartment (with shower overhead)?

6) Sliding doors to save space?

7) This is my first renovation and I have little background in handyman endeavours. What are jobs that I can do when renovating. What about definitely done by a professional? What about maybe?

THanks so much!
Quote:
1) Why do girls generally care about how an apartment looks more than guys especially bathrooms and kitchens?

Because they bathe AND they cook!!

Quote:
2) Tiles or wooden floor for?
 Kitchen
 Loungeroom
 Bedroom

Whatever you want. Tiles will be $80.00 - $120.00/m2 supplied and laid. What is the floor at present?

Quote:
3) Painted bricks or rendered walls?

What are the walls now?

Quote:
4) Washing machine in apartment?
 In Kitchen?
 In Bathroom?

In a cupboard in the kitchen - skinny trough and washing machine next to it. Plumbing can be an issue if solid brick and concrete construction. Could be $1000 or $5000 - depends on all the variables

Quote:
5) Bath in small apartment (with shower overhead)?

What is there now?

Quote:
6) Sliding doors to save space?

Not sure if such a great space saver as you still have to get into the room and if the door slides accross the face of the wall then you still lose space anyway. Can you post picture of your floor plan?

Quote:
7) This is my first renovation and I have little background in handyman endeavours. What are jobs that I can do when renovating. What about definitely done by a professional? What about maybe

If third Storey of a Body Corporate then get a professional as the neighbours will complain. These sorts of jobs are not for the handyman unless you have a lot of time, lot of money, lot of patience and a lot of friends that know what to do!
Welcome to the forum yendor28!

Have you got a floor plan and some pics to upload?

Maybe some of us can give you some tips (from both a male and female perspective) to give you the best outcome so you don't have to limit yourself with prospective purchasers down the track.

Just an idea?

Welcome, we're a pretty supportive bunch here at Homeone, always happy to help!
G'day!

IMO, you make faaarrr too much of an issue about sex! (Yes I said that)!

I mean, girls, guys, there's not much dif really. We all have the same needs (why am I not getting any clearer)

OK here's my take.....

I am regularly going in to clean up carpets in properties, both rentals and owner occupied places. Believe me, I have seen as much abuse & mess from the 'ladies' than the guys!

BTW, does the block of units have a lift? Any tradies (or yourself) has their work cut out for them if having to go up & down 3 flights of stairs to do any work!

Have fun!

Ash.
Another issue with the flooring - have you checked what the Body Corporate prefers? From my experience sometimes they have issues with tiles / timber if you are upstairs - the neighbours downstairs sometimes dislike the "noise" occurence.
Hi,

What a great forum, thanks so much everyone!

Feel like I am embarking on a massive journey so nice to have some company

Genders
--------------

Ha ha, not too big of a deal but I do believe girls are generally more pedantic about these things IN MY EXPERIENCE. True, both genders can be messy and great to hear the other side of the issue to correct any false beliefs of mine so thanks.

Pictures/Layout/existing place
--------------------------------------------

I have a layout but it is in PDF. Can I post this?

Basically the layout is

Quote:
East
-----------------------------------------_____window_____-------------
| | |
| Bathroom | |
| | |
| | Bedroom |
| | | South
--------------------------- |
| | |
| Kitchen | |
| | |-----------------------------------------| |
| |
| |
| |
| Loungeroom |
| |
| |
| |
-----------------------------------------____window_______----------

West

* existing windows indicated, considering window on South wall but does not invade anyone's privacy as per pictures

[img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b9e3e06ede.jpg[/img][/IMG]

*that would be the view if I put a window in, except it would be over the trees as I took that picture from the ground

[img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d4565e28c8.jpg[/img][/IMG]

[img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/009ebd2c4e.jpg[/img][/IMG]

[img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/edb44f3b0c.jpg[/img][/IMG]

[img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5b15187747.jpg[/img][/IMG]

questions:

- existing: brickwork, shower no bath, matting to be ripped up (as flooring)
- strata gives me complete reasonable control on what I choose (my 2 friends own the other units)
- the apartment is up 2 flights of stairs with no elevator

thanks again!
I'd actually say do whatever you need to do to the walls, plaster preferably to increase the amount of light in there. That would give it more of a modern feel. Add a feature wall in a contrasting colour for interest.

Couldn't see the PDF, maybe insert a link to a hosting website perhaps for that one.

Does the ceiling require re-plastering? I can see lots of stains/marks there so you'd need to work out if there is a leak etc above that is causing that first i suppose? Then repair and repaint if it's useable?

Definitely change the light fittings to increase the amount of light in there as well...

Is it a seperate toilet to the bathroom? Or is it behind the door? I couldn't see?

Hope that helps? See how you go with the floor plan?

Looking froward to seeing how it all comes together....

LOL friends together in the same appt. building, sounds like a fun place to be!!!
Nice girlfriend!
(except it looks like her chest is made of bricks)!

Looks like western suburbs (near beach)?

Looks like a great project, should be fun (except for the stairs)!

Strong suggestion.... consider cork flooring throughout, (maybe carpets in bedrooms).

And render any exposed brick walls in the place.

Ash.
Perspectives from a 40+ year old 'girl'........

View of trees is nice so any window overlooking that is good.

I think people generally would prefer wooden floors or vinyl on bedrooms/living area rather than tiles. Tiles/ vinyl/ or wooden floors for kitchen. If your kitchen and living area is basically 1 room I would do the flooring the same throughout.

Kitchen looks small and no window, so do the walls, tiles, cupboard doors etc in light colours as dark colours make a space look smaller.

A small upstairs unit is probably not going to be for families so a bath is not really neccesary, I would not worry about putting one in.

I think sliding doors are good and do save space, yes you lose the wall space where the door slides to but this is minimal, eg you might have to move your coach forward by few inches so door can slide behind it. Another option may be bifold doors which take up only the door space.
Hey,

I have just purchased an apartment in Perth too and am also planning on doing something similar. Check out my blog on it =) http://myfirstapartmentreno.posterous.com/

Lelo
Related
13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

8/06/2023
Paint colour help please

General Discussion

Thankyou so much 😀 I've decided on White on white for doors and trims, White on white 50% on ceiling and Mt buller for walls. Fingers crossed it will look OK 😀

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum