Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

How to fill gap between tile underlay and plaster wall

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am renovating my laundry, and have ripped up the tiles and nailed down some cement sheeting that I am intending on tiling, but now I am up to the waterproofing stage.

The problem is there is about a 2cm gap from where the cement underlay is to where the plaster finishes, so there is no way to get the waterproof membrane to seal the corners. How to I go about waterproofing the corners? Do I just need to lay down more tile underlay until it reaches the plaster level?

Cheers
Use these types of things http://www.bunnings.com.au/waterproofin ... a_p0960175

They allow for movement and easy to do, just stick them on some waterproofing then paint over it like normal
Thanks for the response, unfortunately I don't think they will help me.

I think I didn't explain it properly. By corners, I meant the corners where the floor meets the wall, I probably should have said edges. So even if they could be used on straight bits of wall, I would need probably 70 of them to do the entire wall.

But that is the type of thing I am after. Is there something like that for long straight areas?
I think I might have found something.

Does anyone know if this would work?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/tape-weatherproof-stop-leak-50mm-10m_p1100470
No you need something like this - 200mm waterproofing bandage.
http://www.flexiseal.co.nz/reinforcing_bandage.htm
It is basically a strong woven strip of cloth that acts as reinforcing for the waterproofing membrane. You paint some of it onto the wall and the floor then press this bandage into it then paint some more over it to bed it right in. Then you give the floor and up the walls probably another two to three thick coats of the waterproofing compound.
Don't worry about the 20mm gap. The bandage will span that easily.

Stewie
dempzorz
Thanks for the response, unfortunately I don't think they will help me.

I think I didn't explain it properly. By corners, I meant the corners where the floor meets the wall, I probably should have said edges. So even if they could be used on straight bits of wall, I would need probably 70 of them to do the entire wall.

But that is the type of thing I am after. Is there something like that for long straight areas?

Obviously that one I linked is for corners but that's the sort of thing you need, the type like stewie linked are for the straight sections
Hi,
Yes all of the above Plus I would also fill the 2cm gap with something suitable even silicone if that,s the only thing available
Related
2/02/2024
Gap between fence and retaining wall - unsafe space

Landscape & Garden Design

get some pool noodles and then bark mulch over the top

16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum