Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Cost per meter squared free standing room or extension

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

We are considering either building a free standing rumpus room or building an additional living room onto the house of about 32 square metres.

The rumpus room would have a concrete floor, steel framed & be clad with something like a hardiplank or some modern alternative & gyprock internal walls,if we go that way.

The house is double brick with concrete tiled roof. If we go this way we would need to knock out an internal wall & built in cupboards and then build onto the back of the house.

With option 1, a home reno company told me the expected cost would be about $1000/sqM, vs $2000-$2500/sqM for option 2. Do these prices sound right?

Cheers
JT
If your existing house is double brick why not build the extension in the same to match otherwise it could end up looking like a shed compared to your house ?
I hate seeing second storey or rear extensions done in something totally out of character with the existing. They look cheap and tacky in my opinion.
I usually quote my clients $2500+ per sqm for extension/additions too.

Stewie
Ive always been told, you are looking at around $1500 per sqm for a new build and $2500-$3000 per sqm for a renovation due to the inefficiency of a reno compared to new build (eg. those unexpected construction hurdles, such as large beams to open up rooms ect). Id probably look towards the $2000 per sqm mark as Stewie said? Hope it comes in at a price you can afford!
Quote:
renovation due to the inefficiency of a reno compared to new build

It isn't the inefficiency of the reno work done by small builders Lauren it is just the economies of scale.
As an ex builder and I'm paying $2.75 per lineal m for 90 x 45mm framing timber, you can bet the big project home builders would be paying less than $1.90. They also pay their subbies a lot less per hour too. It all adds up.
Kind of like what your corner store pays for a packet of chips compared to what the big supermarket chains pay.

Stewie
Related
30/10/2023
Extension cost

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi Has anyone recently completed an extension in Melbourne. Any idea at what I'd be looking at for an extension of our living room (adding 4mx5m).

29/11/2023
Extension cost - $3500/m2 reasonable?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Seems good to me. I've been told $4-5k/sqm is reasonable in Perth.

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum