Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Buying a home and wondering how much the reno's will cost us

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We are very close to purchasing a three bedroom brick house built in the 1980's. We believe the price is fair but there are some small renovations that would need to be done. I am hoping some of you who have personal experience with these renovations might be able to give me an idea of the price we may have to pay.

So renovations planned are as follows:
1: Rendering the 176 square meter house
2: Installing a dishwasher in place of some of the storage cupboards in the kitchen.
3: Installing a new toilet (the old one is a horrible green plastic toilet) and re-tiling the toilet room (very small room)
4: The house has modern split system r/c heating and cooling system. This is in the lounge room. We arent sure how it would go heating and cooling the whole house. So in case it doesn't do an effective job we want to get an idea of how much it was cost to install a 2nd device. Or how much it would cost to install ducted heating and cooling through the whole house.

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated

Thanks
If it may help the link below is a video the real estate agent put together showing the various features of the house etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOoHYNWqyY
gmacka03
Hi,

We are very close to purchasing a three bedroom brick house built in the 1980's. We believe the price is fair but there are some small renovations that would need to be done. I am hoping some of you who have personal experience with these renovations might be able to give me an idea of the price we may have to pay.

So renovations planned are as follows:
1: Rendering the 176 square meter house.$15,000?
2: Installing a dishwasher in place of some of the storage cupboards in the kitchen. cost of dishwasher plus a carpenter for the day $500?
3: Installing a new toilet (the old one is a horrible green plastic toilet) and re-tiling the toilet room (very small room)cost of toilet plus plumber for the day. then come back to grout? $1000
4: The house has modern split system r/c heating and cooling system. This is in the lounge room. We arent sure how it would go heating and cooling the whole house. So in case it doesn't do an effective job we want to get an idea of how much it was cost to install a 2nd device. Or how much it would cost to install ducted heating and cooling through the whole house. One unit won't do the whole house. new RC unit. cost of unit $1000+ plus install. $500. But where would you put it. Still won't do the bedrooms. Ducted $10,000

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated

Thanks

It's been a while since we rendered and we paid $12,000 but it was a big house and highset. We just got ducted in a 4 bed house $8,500 all up. But we have used the guy before and paid cash. Just guessing on the tradies prices for the kitchen and plumber. Might be a bit more for labour. Get a few quotes.
I recommend to have contractor. Ask them, to look at the house and they will give you a real estimate before you buy. That will make your process more easier and tension free. I made an estimate with the help of the professional contractors (Silverado Custom homes) at Toronto.
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

4/06/2023
Bathroom reno - do i need a bathtub

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hello It is good to have a planned bathroom reno to suit your budget and design, living for 10 years I think you need a bathtub

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum