Join Login
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement

Home reno Newbie

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are both very new to home buying and reno's. We are looking for our first home in Melbourne and are tossing up between getting an old run down place and revamp it, or just get a place where someone else did all the sprussing up for us (which comes at a cost).

I know this question is very vague, but as a general price guide, how much would it cost to install a new kitchen (basic), retile, shower, toilet etc in bathroom and paint a 3 bedroom home.

Basically we are trying to get a general idea of how much we would be saving by doing the reno ourself. Atm the renovated homes are beyond our budget

I would love to hear from the experts here! I am already loving this forum!
I would say for a basic flat pack kitchen and budget appliances you would be looking at between 5 and 10k, depending on the layout?
You should be able to tile and paint a three bedroom home for around 2k, but it all depends on how much you want to pay for tiles and paint.
I would suggest going to bunnies and have a look at there budget kitchens, paint and basic tiles.

The problem with older run down homes is once you start pulling things out like kitchens/bathrooms you start finding other issues and it then turns into a huge money pit.
We did a reno at our last house which included tiling the entire home (small 3 bedder) except for the bedrooms and also gutting and redoing the small bathroom, toilet and laundry. It was no more than $5K including labour. We didn't choose expensive fittings. It all looked lovely though.

We had quotes for painting and that was quite expensive ($10K+). I suppose painting is something you can do yourself.

We're in a new (old) house now and getting a new kitchen and for gloss laminate cabinetry, Caesarstone benches and glass splash back it's about $14K (not including appliances and trade work). It is a big kitchen. So you could definitely do a Bunnings kitchen for a lot cheaper.

Hope that helps.
Hi, very difficult to say as there are lots of variables.

We renovate cheap houses ($200K). We spend under $15K and put in a new kitchen, retile bathroom and put new fittings, paint throughout and carpet/polish floors. So the house is like new. We do most of the labour ourselves. If you need to pay people to do it all, of course the price will rise.
But it's different for your own home. You will be fussier with what vanity, oven, tiles etc you want (and if you are like me you will pick the most expensive).
The thing with buying something that needs a bit of work is that you pay less now and can do the work when you have the money. We did that with our home.
Related
16/10/2023
Newbie to Home renovation: DIY?

Renovation + Home Improvement

a building inspector should be able to tell you about any major problems but we need a floor plan with dimensions to clarify options for extra bedrooms ... sometime an…

4/06/2023
Bathroom reno - do i need a bathtub

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hello It is good to have a planned bathroom reno to suit your budget and design, living for 10 years I think you need a bathtub

9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

You are here
Building ForumRenovation + Home Improvement
Home
Pros
Forum